• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting into WoW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iggybaseball

I was thinking about buying wow. One of my friends told me that I didn't need to buy BC until I leveled up my player far enough because the material in the expansion only applied to them. Would you guys agree with this? I wasn't sure if it was true cause I was under the impression that the new races were accessible by beginners as well. Thanks

Yes you could. The 2 "new" races of BC are Dranei for alliance and Blood elf for horde. I recently started back playing, im currently lv 53 warrior and i still havent bought BC (gonna have to do it soon tho ! ).

You don't need BC until you hit lv58 and unless you want to start of playing with one of the new races. Also if you want to play as shamy and be only ally, you will need to get BC since Dranei are the only race on that side that have that class.

Just steer clear of WoW lol, if you get hooked expect your life to change violently for a long time to come, I just got out of the game after a 3 year stint a while back and it was the best thing I could've done. When they talk of wow bieng as addictive as cigarettes, alchohol and crack they aren't joking.. your relationships with friends and family will deteriorate, your sleep will suffer and your work performance will go down lol. If you join a raiding guild you might as well just cut your losses and put a catheder and a bucket next to your pc. I made the mistake of introducing 4 people I know to wow, and I created 4 monsters who don't socialize with the outside world anymore and spend every waking moment on that game. I've asked them to quit or reduce thier playing time and to go out and get some sun for a change, but they remain as pasty and malnourished as always :(.

Of course if your willing to risk it and think you won't become an addict then no you don't need the expansion right away but for the price of the game+ the expansion you might aswell indulge. If all else fails most game stores offer a 14 day trial of the game for a paltry $1.99 so you can see if you like it and want to continue. Be aware tho, as a noob to the Wowverse you can expect to be mocked and made fun of if you don't have a group of friends to hold your hand for the first while.

Edit: I'm sure I might get flamed for my opinions, but while an estimated 25-30% of the wow population are true casuals and can take or leave the game as they please 70-75% of people are not and get consumed. Most of these people are folks with addictive personalities and people that want an "escape" from life and themselves. For me I was in the addictive personality group and only my declining interest in gaming as a whole and my newfound love for the 360 saved me from my WoW demons! lol, My name was Dandraseth and I was a WoW Aholic!.

Last edited:
12am said:
Just steer clear of WoW lol, if you get hooked expect your life to change violently for a long time to come, I just got out of the game after a 3 year stint a while back and it was the best thing I could've done. When they talk of wow bieng as addictive as cigarettes, alchohol and crack they aren't joking.. your relationships with friends and family will deteriorate, your sleep will suffer and your work performance will go down lol. If you join a raiding guild you might as well just cut your losses and put a catheder and a bucket next to your pc. I made the mistake of introducing 4 people I know to wow, and I created 4 monsters who don't socialize with the outside world anymore and spend every waking moment on that game. I've asked them to quit or reduce thier playing time and to go out and get some sun for a change, but they remain as pasty and malnourished as always :(.

Of course if your willing to risk it and think you won't become an addict then no you don't need the expansion right away but for the price of the game+ the expansion you might aswell indulge. If all else fails most game stores offer a 14 day trial of the game for a paltry $1.99 so you can see if you like it and want to continue. Be aware tho, as a noob to the Wowverse you can expect to be mocked and made fun of if you don't have a group of friends to hold your hand for the first while.

Edit: I'm sure I might get flamed for my opinions, but while an estimated 25-30% of the wow population are true casuals and can take or leave the game as they please 70-75% of people are not and get consumed. Most of these people are folks with addictive personalities and people that want an "escape" from life and themselves. For me I was in the addictive personality group and only my declining interest in gaming as a whole and my newfound love for the 360 saved me from my WoW demons! lol, My name was Dandraseth and I was a WoW Aholic!.

I agree it can be addictive but no more then EQ, AC, SWG's (before SOE killed it) etc. I play WoW but I don't let my life suffer b/c of it, I eat sleep & go to work just fine. There are just some people who are easily addicted to things whatever it is & let it consume them...just have to play in moderation. Use common sense, if you life is starting to resemble the South Park episode in which the characters get addicted to WoW, that is when you need to back off, but hopefully before you get to far in like them.lol

I usually play about 1-2 hours when I get up in the afternoon & get off before Wife gets home. Make dinner, love on the wife, then if she's gives the ok or gets on too (yeah she plays but is a total noob) I'll play for a bit before I leave for work. Weekends I usually don't get on much during the day sometimes I do unless I have something planned.

Back