• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better board than my Asus P5W DH for a Q6600 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mixman

I have a P5W DH and I am wondering if I can get a better overclocking board for the Q6600 or should I just keep the P5W DH until the X38's come out and DDR3 gets cheaper ? I don't need an sli board, but a if I replace my DH board, I want one as full featured.

The P35 boards seem to work pretty well with quads.

There is suppose to be X38 boards that work with DDR2.

asus p5k, gigabyte p35-ds3r, msi p35 platinum. imo it is really hard to go wrong with pretty much any p35 board out there right now.

if price is no concern, definitely an asus p5k deluxe/premium or a gigabyte p35-dq6. besides for those two, the Abit IP35 Pro or gigabyte p35-ds3p. on a strict budget, a p35-ds3r or abit ip35-e

Now here is the question. Is it worth it for me to get rid of my 975X board to get a P35 ? Will the OC be that much better on the P35 as opposed to the 975 ?

Mixman said:
Now here is the question. Is it worth it for me to get rid of my 975X board to get a P35 ? Will the OC be that much better on the P35 as opposed to the 975 ?
If 975 chipset boards overclock comparably to 680i chipset boards, generally yes, depending on what other hardware you have

Your FSB will be capped in the low 300's on 975x, which means you won't be able to clock much higher than 3 GHz flat. On P35 you won't be FSB bound at all.

Look at the Abit IP35 series and Asus P5K series and pick one that has the features you want and desired price range. The P5K Premium is the most loaded of the lot and would be the best clocker by a hair but you can't go wrong with any.

So you are saying that i cant go higher than 3ghz with my asus p5w dh board? But i want to. Wont the mods help? Can someone Tell me how high can i go with it? using 1066mhz memory. etc watercooled.
The question is if i have a asus p5w dh board is there any point for me to get q6600 cpu. or should i get dualcore and beat the hell out of it. And upgrade my platvorm later.
I plan to build a waterchiller soon also.
So i figure that this board is waste for q6600.
Well its not a good news for me. I just bought the thing from forumg.
Got it for 100 eurs. maybe if im quick enough i can sell and can get something to replace it.

Last edited:
Arlequin said:
So you are saying that i cant go higher than 3ghz with my asus p5w dh board? But i want to. Wont the mods help? Can someone Tell me how high can i go with it? using 1066mhz memory. etc watercooled.
The question is if i have a asus p5w dh board is there any point for me to get q6600 cpu. or should i get dualcore and beat the hell out of it. And upgrade my platvorm later.
I plan to build a waterchiller soon also.
So i figure that this board is waste for q6600.
Well its not a good news for me. I just bought the thing from forumg.
Got it for 100 eurs. maybe if im quick enough i can sell and can get something to replace it.
I wouldn't get a Q6600 unless I had a P35 chipset board, or at the very least a 680i board. the asus p5w you have is a 975x board, and as far as I know they're even worse than 680i boards at overclocking quad cores. I'd stay with a dual-core/core 2 duo and upgrade to a Q6600 after you get a new motherboard

^^^what shirker said...but if you choose a 680i board go for the evga A1 version with the latest bios update.

Arlequin said:
Nah if swap the board i can go with asus p5k series. :beer:
being a P35 chipset board, all signals are go if you want to get the most performance possible out of a Q6600. however, if you're looking at the lower end P5K boards (anything lesser than the P5K deluxe), better alternatives would be the gigabyte (p35-ds3r) or abit boards (ip35, ip35-e)

So I guess the Asus P5K Premium would be the best right now, with the Blitz series maybe being the best in a couple of weeks when they come out ?

Mixman said:
So I guess the Asus P5K Premium would be the best right now, with the Blitz series maybe being the best in a couple of weeks when they come out ?

That sounds about right.

Back