• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans Run, No Display, No Beeps, No HD Head Movement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nth697

OK. I decided to dump my old tower case for a smaller one that had more room for fans. So after alot of cutting over 3 days and lots of test fitting to get my tuniq to fit, I put it together and all I have to show for it is a blank screen and noise from the fans.
Heres all the info:
pentium d 805 2.66Ghz 1.2V, ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus, 7600GT, A-DATA Vitesta 2X1GB 533Mhz

all of that was running at 3.65Ghz 1.32V I think that put the ram at about 740Mhz 3-4-4-9 1T with the voltage raised a little. to deal with the temps I slapped a fan on the Northbridge heatsink, put a 486 fan/heatsink on my southbridge, put another fan on the stock SB heatpipe, Tuniq tower 120, AS5 on CPU NB and SB.

no beeps, blank screen, no hard drive chatter........... correct me if Im wrong but that means that it has to be the CPU MoBo or RAM. so far I have tried moving the video card to the other pci-e slot and tried a pci video card I have (now that I think about it that was a wasted step). Ive flipped the speaker connection to make sure it wasnt upside down.

my next steps will be to try the speaker from my old case and try just one then the other stick of ram.

If this sounds like something you have gone through chime in and help a brother out.

UPDATE

tried known good speaker. still no beeps

tried each RAM stick by itself. no change. could I have killed bolth of them at the same time if I didnt take them out of the MOBO?

disconnected all non essential components. no change. should I try it with all the fans out too?

checked power cables. all the pins and whatnot are in good shape.

so correct me if Im wrong but it sounds like its the mobo. I doubt bolth ram sticks would go bad at exactly the same time and if it was the cpu the mobo should be beeping like crazy.

or could it be that because the fans run and the power LED on the mobo is lit that its ok and something else is wrong?

Im now officially out of ideas and need some input so HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Sounds like the power supply, im pretty sure the hard drive should do some sort of activity even if it isnt plugged into the board.

ya I didnt mention that the HDs were spinning they just didnt make any seeking noises *klack klack*

when I hit the power button everything goes to work DVD drive, HDs, fans. but nothing else happens.

sounds like a PSU problem, like seasonal said. blank screen, no hard drive seeking, motherboard not powering up and no POST, etc. What brand and what wattage rating is your power supply?

I have had the same problem before and it was the PSU, buy a PSU tester, cheaper than a new PSU if it turns out not to be that, if it is the PSU you will probably find that only the 12V is running.
That allows the computer to start but not to do anything

tested and it all looks good. the light marked pg took a fraction of a second to turn on and was a little dimmer than the other lights but it did light up and I got no warning sound

cleared CMOS no change.

if it was CPU the MOBO should beep at me right? and I never took it out. all I did was take the load plate off the CPU to clean all the old thermal grease. I never took it out of the slot. I used acetone to clean it and gave it plenty of time to dry. regardless Im going to reseat the CPU to rule it out.

If the CPU is toast then the Motherboard can't post and if it can't post it can't beep, annoying but true

no update. as of right now I suspect (and hope) its the CPU. if it is then I can get a C2D and get a nice bump in preformance. if its my MOBO then Im kinda screwed.

Id really like to hear what anybody else thinks. I need some oppinions before I start throwing $$ around

Take out motherboard battery and put it back in. It's possible that you overclocked too far for voltage to a component and it's causing the system to not start up.

You may loose all of your Overclocked settings, but you can just re-do it after. It'd be worth it, if your computer starts back up :p

there isnt a right way to plug the power switch in. its just 2 wires with a momentary switch in the middle. it wouldnt matter witch way you plugged it in.

I used the CMOS clear jumper witch should do the same thing as taking the battery out. it had no effect.

everybody jump in!! this is helping me alot. thanks guys

I had the same problem with a P4 pre-build that was on its way out. I tried everything with it. Reset CMOS, unplugged the GPU and RAM. Tried PSU on another PC. Everything worked fine but the PC wouldn't boot up. I was planning on building anyways but I'm kind of screwed because I'm left with a 10+ year old PC which doesn't do anything that I want.

I didn't notice a test with no vga installed ... you should get a beep.

I have fried a cheap pci video before and i think i had these had these symptoms.

If the mobo is ok you should be able to get one or more beeps with each of memory, cpu? and video removed.

Back