• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New video cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I say hold off if you think the 8600 range sucks, the 9xxx series is coming along and prices will drop. But for an HTPC alot of people are saying the HD 2600 series is good.

if you want a video card for your htpc for the sole purpose of playing media, the 8600 is good (full h.264 acceleration), but the ati 2600 cards are even better, with h.264 AND vc-1 acceleration. If you don't need to game, I'd look at the HD 2600 or even 2400 cards.

I will be gaming with it also..Gotta be able to run games like FEAR at decent frame rates...

chaos said:
I will be gaming with it also..Gotta be able to run games like FEAR at decent frame rates...
in that case, the current mid-range DX10 cards from both ATI and nvidia are really crappy. HD 2400/2600, 8500/8600, they pretty much all suck when it comes to pure gaming performance, since an older and cheaper card like a nvidia 7900gs will run your games smoother

Last edited:
freakdiablo said:
I say hold off if you think the 8600 range sucks, the 9xxx series is coming along and prices will drop. But for an HTPC alot of people are saying the HD 2600 series is good.
Why do they suck? Why buy the 9xxx series when the 10xxx is around the corner... I think you need to re-read some benchmarks again.

shirker said:
if you want a video card for your htpc for the sole purpose of playing media, the 8600 is good (full h.264 acceleration), but the ati 2600 cards are even better, with h.264 AND vc-1 acceleration. If you don't need to game, I'd look at the HD 2600 or even 2400 cards.
Even better how? Is it because it passes audio over the HDMI cable / supports vc1 acceleration? What about image quality... the ATi 24/26xx series cards scored a 90/100 overall compared to Nvidia's 8xxx series which scored 100/100. The ATi cards lacked noise reduction. Also, if you look at benchmarks the Nvidia cards faired well with VC-1 so what exactly do ATi cards do that are even better than Nvidia?

Back