• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Halo Combat Evolved question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UBB

How much system memory can this game take advantage of? When I tab out of the game at what I think is heavy usage the most I've seen it using is 275mb. I have only one stick of 512mb in the box. thx

Well, this is really the only game I play, my system below runs the game at 1280x768 all settings on high with an average FPS of about 40-50. My system is pretty outdated, but you don't need much more than 30FPS to be able to play the game smoothly. There are (or were) people playing Halo PC on Pentium III systems; it's not a resource hog in the least bit.

To answer your question, 512mb should be plenty to play with, though a gig would be perfect.

Yes, forgot to mention, I have all settings maxed out, highest resolution, XP. I'm using a 6600GT PCI-E.

webdevour said:
"highest resolution" meaning 1600x1200? What kind of FPS do you get? That should be more than enough to run Halo smoothly considering my 9800 Pro gets the job done.
My halo doesn't have an option for 1600x1200 IIRC. But at 1280x1024 I do around 300fps with max settings. And my ram is at RMA right now so I'm only running 1gb and it still works fine so I say 1gb. I've run it with 512mb before on another system and lower settings without any problems.

*Edit: At max settings mine's only using 137mb.

Last edited:
1280 x 1024 is what I'm running, too. For now I don't know what FPS I'm getting as I can't seem to get fraps to work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

The port is top-notch, Gearbox did a very good job of getting the engine to run on the PC. I have V-Sync on because my framerates are butter smooth, so I get 75FPS.

sno.lcn said:
My halo doesn't have an option for 1600x1200 IIRC. But at 1280x1024 I do around 300fps with max settings. And my ram is at RMA right now so I'm only running 1gb and it still works fine so I say 1gb. I've run it with 512mb before on another system and lower settings without any problems.

*Edit: At max settings mine's only using 137mb.
That's wierd, my 9800 Pro is capable of running Halo PC/CE at 1600x1200 no problems (yes, the option for 1600x1200 is there in Halo's settings for me), everything on high... Of course I get FPS lag in certain maps, thats why I play at 1280x768. And I don't get anywhere near 300FPS with my 9800... More like 30-50, which is still more than playable.

I downloaded a earlier version of fraps and it's working for me. I'm getting on average 85fps, does go into the 100's though. I have vsync off.

Back