• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Foxconn 8 pin power connector?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zeal

Registered
So most motherboards have a 24pin and 4pin power connector, but I was looking at this Foxconn MB I just ordered...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186098

And according to the picture it has a 24pin and a EIGHT pin connector? Is this standard on MB's now? The power supply I ordered...

has a 24 and 4 pin, but I dont see a 8 pin. Do I need some kind of special adapter? Think one will come with the MB (its retail)?

Thanks for any insight! Want to get this figured out before the parts arrive this week!

Zeal said:
So most motherboards have a 24pin and 4pin power connector, but I was looking at this Foxconn MB I just ordered...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186098

And according to the picture it has a 24pin and a EIGHT pin connector? Is this standard on MB's now? The power supply I ordered...

has a 24 and 4 pin, but I dont see a 8 pin. Do I need some kind of special adapter? Think one will come with the MB (its retail)?

Thanks for any insight! Want to get this figured out before the parts arrive this week!
8 pin is pretty standard, last three motherboard I had have all had the 8 pin connector.

If you just plug the 4 pin into the 8 pin you will be fine. I have a e6400 sitting right outside this room with only the 4 pin plugged in.

That's a CWT PSU known for bad caps. Dunno if they still do.

But it is rather measley.

Only 2x12V with 15a and 14A

180w+168W

JamesXP said:
That's a CWT PSU known for bad caps. Dunno if they still do.

But it is rather measley.

Only 2x12V with 15a and 14A

180w+168W
That isn't exactly what he was asking about.

OP: From the pictures, it looks like there is a 8 pin connector, but part of it is out of view.

Hmm thats scary. so youre saying just plug a 4 pin connector into a 8 pin slot? how do I know which of 'side' of the 8 pins to plug it into? Seems like I have 3 options..

Damn this stupid psu was 70 bucks and I heard thermaltake makes good stuff... whats going on here..

Zeal said:
Hmm thats scary. so youre saying just plug a 4 pin connector into a 8 pin slot? how do I know which of 'side' of the 8 pins to plug it into? Seems like I have 3 options..

Damn this stupid psu was 70 bucks and I heard thermaltake makes good stuff... whats going on here..
It will only go in one way ;)

Thermaltake only makes good cases :beer:

Hrmmm.. so what am I 'missing' if I only use the 4 pin connector? I mean obviously the thing is designed for 8 pins.. so there has to be some kind of 'danger' in doing this?

Im looking over all the PSUs on neweggs site, and most all of them have the same standard 24pin + 4pin. I cant find hardly any with 8 pins...

sigh maybe I can stop the order and swap the PSU, its the weekend so I dont think theyve shipped anything yet..

by 24 + 4 pin I hope you are referring to the separate motherboard atx power connector and the entirely different cpu power connector. essentially all newer motherboards will have a 20+4, or 24 pin atx connector that powers the motherboard itself. that separate 4-pin connector that you have on that thermaltake PSU powers the cpu. on more powerful PSUs there may be a cpu1 and a cpu2 connector, both are 4 pins making for a total of 8; this just provides more reliable power to your cpu. no PSUs that I know of actually come with an 8 pin connector for the cpu power, just two 4 pin cables. however, if your psu has only one 4-pin connector, then just plug it into the 8-pin cpu power connector on whichever side will fit, it will be fine

What CPU are you gonna run on that board? Your 4 pin connector should be just fine. From what I understand the 8 pin is there for CPUs that require a lot of power. I'm guessing some of the new Barcelona's and Phenom's will need 8 pin power connectors. I've run 20 pin PSUs on a 24 pin motherboard without any problems.

Ok cool thats comforting. Yeah this is for a 5600+, so im assuming those only require 4 pins. I see now that the OTHER 4 pins are for 'more intense' cpus.

a thermaltake 500w with a 5600+ and SLI 8800GTS is really pushing the limits there. you might get instability issues if you overclock either the cpu or graphics cards, maybe even at stock speeds. I can't attest to the quality of thermaltake PSUs, or how well they perform at the rated 500w, but a 520w psu from a better manufacturer like the corsair 520hx would be much more able to power your rig

if you buy an antec psu, get only the NEO HEs or the Earthwatts. Regardless, you'd be better off spending around $100 for a better psu from a more reliable brand/manufacturer, like the corsair line of power supplies

if you buy an antec psu, get only the NEO HEs or the Earthwatts. Regardless, you'd be better off spending around $100 for a better psu from a more reliable brand/manufacturer, like the corsair line of power supplies

The True Power Trio line is no good?

That one definatly isn't as I posted.

It has a measly 14/15A on the 2 rails.

Not very good.

Corsair HX520/620 :beer:

juane414 said:
The True Power Trio line is no good?
not to knowledge, no. the newer NEO HEs and Earthwatts are made by a different manufacturer (seasonic, excellent stuff), and those have turned out to be good power supplies as expected. the TPT line is older and made by channel well, and IIRC they're prone to having burst capacitors and failing on you.

Back