• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Storing HD outside computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kleenex

Registered
Hi. I just discovered hot swap racks (like this ) I think, for me, it's a better option than external drives. However, if I'm switching out hd's, how should I store them while they are outside of my computer? Preferably they will be close at hand, where I can easily get to them, in a storage bin or desk drawer. If I'm storing multiple drives in a drawer how close can I keep them together? Can I stack them, or will such intimacy bode ill for my data? Should I store them in anti-static bags? Thanks.

Antistatic bags will probably be a good idea. Stack them however you want as long as they don't have a chance of falling. Nothing wrong with them being close together.

I used to have part of a drawer lined with antistatic bags for keeping bits in, something like that might be good here, and I wouldn't worry about any bad things happening from stacking them or putting them close together.

I just reviewed that!

Kleenex said:
Hi. I just discovered hot swap racks (like this ) I think, for me, it's a better option than external drives. However, if I'm switching out hd's, how should I store them while they are outside of my computer? Preferably they will be close at hand, where I can easily get to them, in a storage bin or desk drawer. If I'm storing multiple drives in a drawer how close can I keep them together? Can I stack them, or will such intimacy bode ill for my data? Should I store them in anti-static bags? Thanks.

Well, except my review didn't look at the one with the fan- wish I'd gotten it instead.

I take my drives out, seal them up in their static baggy, place them back in their shipping container (retail box, if I have it) with their foam cutouts or their plastic suspensions.

I then take that drive to my father in law's place for safe keeping.

Static baggy and well sealed is the key- you don't want water intrusion in case of fire...

(plug: http://www.overclockers.com/articles1466

Jason

Back