• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low 3DMark06 Scores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snipz

Registered
I just setup my system and im having some problems now for 3 days. The first day I finished putting it together and put drivers on it started it up and got a 5100 on 3DMark06. I stressed tested it with orthos for eight days restarted it and got a 4900. Tried everything to get it back over 5000. Installed Windows XP 64 bit, atitool, ati tray tools, systool, and a fan controller. According to the 3DMark06 website I should be getting a 5900 stock. Nothing is working and I have some theories why it might not be working. 1st my side panel isnt on, im using a old crt monitor, and cable management. Am I doing anything wrong? My specs are below.

SAPPHIRE Radeon X1950XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3
ASUS M2R32-MVP Socket AM2 AMD 580X
GeIL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz
Antec Nine Hundred
Antec TruePower Trio 650

What vid card settings are you using in the ATI control panel? Push all the sliders to the left for the performance settings.

I dont know what settings im using because im at work. I did move all the sliders to the left which dropped my score from 4900 to 4600. I did this on two occasions.

Hmmm, excessive heat will lower the score. Is your room really hot? Do you have good case ventilation?

Not sure what version vid card drivers you are using. Did you download and install the latest from ATi or did you just use what was on the provided install CD? I would use the Cat 7.7 version drivers.

My room is very cool and my computer is very running at 33 degrees cel. I have the new 7.8, but I was using the 7.7 drivers too. Heres a picture of my comp.

4lhbc6a.jpg

These pictures are from 2 days ago. I switched in a better heat sink unit whick I put on the right way. And I moved up the video card to the top slot. Also the cables are very more manageable but not know where near to perfect.

On some motherboards, only the top PCI-E slot is 16X. You said you moved your card to the top slot, so that should be fine now. Temps sound ok and you have new drivers. I didn't realize the Cat 7.8 was out yet, that's good to know. But, the card still might be getting too hot. Download ATItool and use it to increase the vid card fan speed while you're benching. It's also a decent program for overclocking the vid card too.

When you get home tonight, look to see what all your graphics setting are and post them here. Maybe we can figure it out. But, I'm kind of stumped right now.

P.S. what's the deal with your rear case fan? Almost looks like you have blades missing at the top.

7.8 drivers came out last night. I have atitool but didnt know that you could control the video card fan speed. Another thing might be my Antec 900 has 3 fan speeds for each fan I have (Three) there are on low. When I put them on high a couple days ago it did not change the score. Where do you want me to find my graphic settings? And I took the picture when my computer was on so it looks like theres only half a fan.

Go into the Catalyst Control Panel and look under the 3D settings. List all the settings (or make a couple screenshots).

When you open ATItool, click the lower right button (settings?). Then pull down the menu and go to fan options. I usually just set the fan to 100% when I'm benching (well, before I watercooled the card). Yeah, it'll be noisy and sound like a hair drier running on high speed. Minimize ATItool, don't close it.

After I get it to a little under 6000 (Like its supposed to be stock) Can I use this, just plug it into the motherboard and the video card? Add some liquid or coolant?

Where did you see that your card should do 5900 points? On the Futuremark website? I would not worry about that too much. They probably used an Intel Core 2 Duo system which performs much better in gaming benchmarks than your system. What bothers me more is that you got 5100 initially, but now you can't get back to that score.

If you want my personal opinion on that Thermaltake Tide Water cooler... well... let me put it this way, I would never buy any watercooling components from Thermaltake. That thing is more gimmick than anything. Does it work, yeah, but not much better than stock air cooling and it's not really much quieter either. Maybe look into the Thermalright (not Thermaltake) HR-03 (see link). Put a quiet 92mm fan on that heatsink and you'll have great temps and it'll be very quiet.

http://www.svc.com/hr-03.html

batboy said:
Where did you see that your card should do 5900 points? On the Futuremark website? I would not worry about that too much. They probably used an Intel Core 2 Duo system which performs much better in gaming benchmarks than your system.

What bothers me more is that you got 5100 initially, but now you can't get back to that score.

I was pulling about 5K with my AMD system (older and weaker then his. Intel about 5,500. Overclocked intel system (and card) 7k on the nose!

The fact that it dropped, is the problem... and I agree withthe above.. its one of 2 things...

He benched then installed ATItool/ATT and disabledthe hotkeypoller so he is now running 2D speeds, or its over heating and dropping down.

Enable onscreen display in ATT or ATItool (not sure) and wathc it when running 3dmark06. It should go from 500/600 to 620/850 or something like that...keep an eye on it throught out and make sure the driver isnt crashing and restarting back to stock clocks too if you are doing any overclocking...

Everytime I run ATITool it says something about not controlling 2D/3D options ill post the exact error when I get home. Im not doing any overclocking. Before I overclock I wanna get it back to 5100.

Snipz said:
Everytime I run ATITool it says something about not controlling 2D/3D options ill post the exact error when I get home. Im not doing any overclocking. Before I overclock I wanna get it back to 5100.

Your response to that question determines whether ATI tool or ATIHotkey poller is controlling 3d mode.

Sounds like that is going to be the problem....

The sticky in ATI section is a little outdated, but if you hit the ATI tool forum they probably have a sticky or a hundred posts on x1950 usage.

EDIT: Here was my trial and tribulation and affirmation with my x1950xt 256mb I was so frustrated and lost I was begging for help LOL But thanks to the people here and lots of reading I got it working :)

Last edited:
It seems all you did was change the fan speed to %100 to fix yours. Also I couldnt find the ATITools forum. Could you please give me a link. Google done brokeded.

EDIT: Seems like all I have to do is disable the Hotkey Poller like you said where do I find that? ATITools or CCC?

Last edited:
I did it. Take a look. I think it was a bug though. There was one test where my fps was switching between 0 and 1.

scoreej8.jpg

I cant wait to overclock this maybe get over 10000?

Yippee! What did you do to get a good score?

The CPU tests will definitely pull the frame rate down to 1 FPS.

I turned all my case fans on high, turned my video card fan on %100 (Like you said), turned off the ATI hotkey poler (Also Like you said), And turned off the cool and quiet bios option. If I turn the cool and quiet back on will it change my score? THANKS FOR YOU HELP. I cant say that enough. You were the only person that went out of there way to help me.:clap: :beer: :clap: :beer: :attn: :attn: :attn: :beer: :beer:

You're welcome, that's why I have the blue stars and get paid the big bucks. Although, I think Neur0mancer is the one that actually mentioned the ATi hotkey poller. The cool and quiet feature is just speedstep I think. If so, no that won't hurt the score.

Wow I thought both of you were one person. Thanks Neur0mancer too!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :beer: :clap: :beer: :clap: :beer: :clap: :beer: :clap:

Back