• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e4400 at 8x400 = 3200 1.425V now, should i up fsb or multiplier from here?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jellysandwich

im not gonna lie, i just went to 8x400 cuz i like those numbers.
but from here, should i start by upping the fsb or the mult? i
know the performance difference, assuming identical clock
speeds, is negligible, so my goal is max clocks.

or, do i need to try both?

Just try both. Increase in increments, record results. Overclocking is about trying different combinations of settings.

Ideally you will find out the max FSB of your motherboard and the speed your Ram can handle first by oc'ing with the lowest multi your BIOS will allow you to set. Then oc the CPU, and knowing both maxes you can find the best combination of FSB, CPU speed, Ram stability and heat.

I'd also like to know one thing - what's your CPU's FPO/BATCH # and the last 5 letters in the Product Code off the retail box (if you got retail)?

just to make sure, when u say oc the cpu, u mean max multiplier
(10) right?

im at work now, so ill have to get the cpu info later tonight

Once you know how far the mobo and Ram can go that gives you a FSB/Ram ceiling, push the CPU at a given multi until you get there then go up one multi and start again at lower FSB. You don't have to use the highest multi to oc the CPU and many people don't for their final settings.

ok, i got the info and put it in ur thread.

my chip seems like crap - 3.2ghz/1.425V failed orthos after 3 hours.
im doing 10x320 = 3.2ghz/1.45V now, orthos stable for 10+ hours.

weird though, i can get 2.95ghz stable at only 1.3125V. why does it need
so much more voltage for 250mhz?

Last edited:
When did you get your chip? It seems that of late e4400s have been getting stuck around about where you are at, until insane amounts of voltage are put through them.

Actually, maybe not as of late, maybe always :shrug:. It seems people are having more luck with the e4300.

Good luck, and remember, this is just what I have read, may not be true.

Femto said:
When did you get your chip? It seems that of late e4400s have been getting stuck around about where you are at, until insane amounts of voltage are put through them.

Actually, maybe not as of late, maybe always :shrug:. It seems people are having more luck with the e4300.

Good luck, and remember, this is just what I have read, may not be true.

recently - the pack date was 6/5/07. bummer man, i have such
bad luck with computer hardware :(

Can you give more details of your setup? Heatsink, temps..

As for the chip working with a lower FSB you may just have one with a low 'FSB wall' where the CPU is stable at a given speed but not at a high FSB at that speed. ex: it may do 3GHz = 9x333 but not 8x375

Also the vcore increase is just how C2Ds are. They have lots of headroom over stock speed with not much voltage but when you near the limits the vcore needed increases really fast and has diminishing returns.

I was looking for around 3GHz on mine, seems like it may be doable but I don't want it to be really hot. I just can't return it if I test :p maybe I ought to just wait and buy an M0 later and lose the few dollars on return shipping.

im using a btf90 on auto. with an ambient of 75f, im getting
40C idle and 60-65C load.

(i should mention though, temps for all of my builds suck.
maybe i just suck at applying TIM or mounting.)

side question - ive been getting a few automatic restarts
lately, maybe 3-4 in the past 2 weeks. could that be due
an unstable oc? i was thinking that it could be a heating issue,
but one of them was when left the computer at idle for
torrenting. seems weird :confused:

Last edited:
Back