• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Crashes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePredator

Hello Fellas,

I know everyone is very helpful, but this problem I am having is so weird, please be patient:D

For starters, here is my new rig's config:

Q6600 B3 Stock
BFG n650i Ultra
2 GB Crucial Ballistix 4-4-4-12 (2 x 1 GB)
8800 GTX Stock
320 GB Seagate 3.0 gb/s (Perpendicular recording technology)
Zalman 9700 cooling fan

Now, here is the problem, and this happens in only 2 games, FIFA 07 and Supreme Commander. In the middle of the game, out of nowhere, my screen freezes. Nothing, it's just complete freeze. I can't move the mouse, a bit of sound repetition but only for 1-2 seconds (not continuous), then I have to press the restart button. Again, it does not kick me back to desktop, it doesn't give an error message. I can play Supreme Commander for 1-1:30 hours, but then this happens. In FIFA 07 as well, it doesn't happen (rarely) in the first match, but then the next one certainly has it.

What I tried to do to understand better:

1. Ran orthos for 12 hours, not a single error.
2. Ran memtest for 16 hours, not a single error.
3. Ran Video Stress Test for 8 hours, not a single error.
4. Ran various HDD tests, the temperature, sectors, tracks, bandwidth, all okay.
5. Temperatures for my CPU is 35-39C idle, 45-50 load, so normal.
6. Temperatures for my video card 55C idle, 63-70 load, so normal.
7. Ran defragger for HDD.
8. Ran Performance Test, 3DMARK, all results are normal.

Now, I have NO IDEA why this is happening. I paid around $2,000 for this machine to play this game, this one game for quad core and I can't play. I would really really appreciate it if you guys can help me.

sounds like its the video card getting hot, i know temps are good, but those arent ingame temps,try to log in game temps to a file then check the file.

I just used RivaTuner to log the temps, at the time of the crash, the temp was 55C. It happened in FIFA. That game is nowhere near GPU dependent, it's a stupid soccer game :D.

The way it happened was, the screen turned black, the power light on monitor started blinking, and "analog/digital" box appeared on the left top corner, then a few seconds passed, the PC rebooted itself.

This also happens during windows (black screen), however it comes back. Every once in a while screen turns black for a few seconds, just like I explained above, but then it comes back.

Back