• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turion or C2D?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

completeclicks

Registered
Before I pose my question I'll give you a little background on myself: I work at Circuit City. I recently joined the Firedog Team (comparable to the Geek Squad). I've always been an AMD guy. My current system is dated (see my sig), and am looking forward to replacing it soon. But, since I've worked at CC I've switched sides somewhat...

I still like AMD, I've always had a lot of success with them, and they are diffinitely cheaper than Intel. But since I have started working at CC, Intel has done a much better job of educating me about their new products than AMD has (via www.retailedge.intel.com). Props to Intel for helping me sell their product, but nobody has made an effort to tell me how the two most popular processors in the PCs & notebooks we currently carry acutally compair to one another.

So my question is this: Turion 64x2 or Core 2 Duo? (for instance the TL-56 vs T5500)

In Novemeber, by taking free online courses at the above mentioned website, I will have earned the right to purchase Intel's newest Quad Core CPU & Motherboard and a copy of Vista Ultimate for an extremely discounted price. So my new Desktop at home will definitely be an Intel machine. But I am also looking at replacing my laptop soon. I'm currently looking at the HP DV6449US & the Acer Aspire 5630-6288. Any thoughts on which is better?

The Acer, even with the Intel chip, is cheaper (at CC at least), but the HP has the glossy screen, which I like but don't necessarily have to have.

imo i would go for the acer too, as it would take the TL-56 to match the T5500 in performance. In other words the amd cpu in a either a lappy or desktop on the amd side needs to be 200mhz faster then intels core2 based cpus. The other thing i like is the fact that even before the rebates the intel based lappy is around 200 cheaper then the amd one. still a tough call though, the screen alone for some people is the deal breaker.

i have a dual core turion in my acer laptop. honeslty im not impressed, my desktop signle cored, vista running, intel rig works alot better, and they both have the same amount of RAM. just from first hand experience, i'd go with the c2d

Back