• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a bit of help for a project for someone...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bryce

I need some help at finding parts for a LOW budget pc, my grandparents computer crashed the other day and I told them that it'd be better if they built the computer, well, have me build it so they didn't get all the crap PC companines install on computers. But I've never built a low low budget machine, as I prefer the newest things, so I needed some help getting a list of parts that costs around 300-400 dollars. They just use it for internet, word processing, a little photo editing (touch ups), etc.

I would have still just bought them a Dell or something and reinstalled a vanilla copy of XP. They would have gotten a decent warranty with it as well.

Otherwise, something like this (not recommending, just giving an idea of what to look at):

GIGABYTE GA-M61SME-S2 (onboard everything and socket AM2) - $50

1GB Wintec (2x512MB) DDR2-800 - $46

Sempron 64 3000+ (retail w/hs and fan) - $28

A case/PSU combo is hard since the PSU is going to suck, but you get what you pay for so...
Apex SK337-A + 350W - $27

LG 18X SATA DVD-RW OEM - $31

Hitachi 7K160 160GB SATA 3.0Gb/s OEM - $48

Total of above = $230

Fans, additional cables, upgrades, and whatnots = $170 under max budget to play with.

All prices/parts obtained from Newegg.

Last edited:
Jon said:
I would have still just bought them a Dell or something and reinstalled a vanilla copy of XP. They would have gotten a decent warranty with it as well.

it depends mabye vostro pc's i mean, when you call dell for the most part you will get someone who can barely speak english sadly, i dont know if they made better support for vostro machines, however, i'm glad at work we are on a GSA :)

Back