• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why FPS on a console?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morvak

Disabled
When I owned a console... the first Xbox i think it was... I enjoyed playing hockey on it. that's really the only game i played on it.

then i purchased Halo to see what all the hype was about and was totally diappointed in the accuracy and gameplay compared to the pc.

i think you're gimping your gameplay when you play FPS games on a console compared to the accuracy of a PC's mouse and keyboard.

Trying to move the joystick around to get split second accurate headshots, or any kind of accurac for that matter was like swimming in tar.

i still see demos of FPS games on Xbox 360 and other consoles where the gamer's accuracy is still not as good so I know it's not just me.

So I'm curious to know why anyone enjoys playing these games when it's pretty much a known fact that the pc mouse+keyboard is much better?

and i'm not trying to flame, i'm just trying to understand. : ) and i'm specifically asking some of you here this question since most of us pretty much have decent gaming pc's.

1. Not everyone has the "OMG I use kb/mouse I'm so 3l33t" complex

2. Consoles have a broader appeal to the casual gamer

3. PC's often have varying system requirements, whereas for a console it's just plug-and-play

4. Services such as Xbox Live [and perhaps Sony's Home] vastly increase the appeal of online console gaming; this has long been an advantage for PC's which is fast disappearing

5. Some FPS games are done surprisingly well on Console; Rainbow Six: Vegas is an excellent example.

6. The idea of a kb/mouse being better is an opinion, not a known fact. Everyone has their own preference.

7. For the average person, it's simply much cheaper to buy the typical next-gen console as opposed to a reasonably-equipped PC that an enthusiast might upgrade in some capacity every 1-2 years.

deception``

I think cost and lack of knowledge about PCs (upgrading, repairing, troubleshooting, etc.) by the general audience are the 2 leading reasons why consoles continue to do so well. Add to that the difficulty of pirating games on consoles and you see why developers are quickly flocking towards console game development (not to mention the higher price tags of console games now, most starting at $60, and the slower depreciation in price of aging titles). Consoles are easy. Buy console, plug in, turn on and you're playing.

better question.... why play an fps at all? If you've played one, you've played them all: run around a maze, get guns, shoot monsters, flip a couple of switches , fight a boss, rinse and repeat.

no i am just curious if you've played an FPS on a PC, why would you play an FPS on a console - don't you notice the difference in accuracy and all that?

i'm not dissing the console.

Morvak said:
no i am just curious if you've played an FPS on a PC, why would you play an FPS on a console - don't you notice the difference in accuracy and all that?

The average person does not care about "accuracy", console commands, or sensitivities adjusted to the 5th decimal; all they want to do is have an engaging experience that looks good and plays even better.

deception``

It all depends on style I think. A keyboard/mouse is a little ackward if you are lying in bed, or lounging on a sofa.

Morvak said:

I definitely agree. I have a pretty good PC and I also own all the consoles. I just like FPS's so much, I want to have all the good ones that come out for all systems. They do control much more accurately on a PC, I'm not sure there'e much argument against that. That's why pretty much all console shooters have some level of auto-aiming. I like console FPS's for 2 reasons: 1) it's much easier on Xbox live to find all my friends online and start a game as well as chatting. PC headsets have always defeated me for some reason; 2) The skill of players in PC games are much higher than Xbox live players. Every PC game has die-hard fans that do nothing but play that game all day. I just don't have that kind of time. Consoles provide more players that are nearer my level and actually fun to play against.

yeah, screw accuracy and the PC for that matter, I mean let's take the LAST couple of PC games I bothered with, America's Army and some other military game I can't remember. Dude with a $200 1,000,000dpi mouse and a dozen or so cheat hacks is going to obliterate everybody else on the playing field. On the consoles, the playing field is level unless you just suffer from lag due to a horrid network connection, but that can be a disadvantage on PC too.

It's definitely different, if you got your home theater system hooked up to your 60" HDTV... (Which I don't have :( )

Most people will have a better home theater system than a computer imo.

Ease of use is easily the second reason. I like chilling on the sofa somethimes when I'm playing Resistance or something.

I like playing Halo on Xbox more than any FPS on PC. It's just personal preference. You can't aim as accurately with a controller I'll agree, but the auto-aim in Halo makes up for it. As long as all the players on on a level playing field with regards to accuracy what's the difference?

Scott9027 said:
... As long as all the players on on a level playing field with regards to accuracy what's the difference?

I was saying that for just about every game on the PC with a good sized following has players that: A) As Fudge said, buy uber equipment that most people can't afford (or maybe they cheat) and dominate over everyone; B) People play WAY too much and get WAY too good, that a casual gamer (like most of us here) can't even hope to keep up and we just get annihilated and it's not really that much fun. On consoles, both issues seem pretty much resolved.

If you play long enough like I have, you get better at it then you do with a mouse/keyboard. I know that's hard to believe, but if you ever want to test it out meet me on Xbox Live / GRAW 2 ;)

Or check out some of the top Halo/RS/GRAW clans on Xbox Live. They will pick a head shot on you in a split second.

hm.

well maybe i just never gave it enough of a chance and was too accustomed to the PC for so many years.

:)

Back in the day it didn't matter if you played a fps on the pc or (theoretically) a console. You couldn't look up.

When "real" fps started coming out, I personally found using a mouse horrid. Don't any of you remember running around looking either straight up or straight down? Especially when the mouse movement was set to the default "airplane" mode? Lots of practice will get you used to it, but precise control as required in an FPS presents a steep learning curve for a new user.

On the other hand, it was a lot more fun to play an FPS on the console with an analog stick at the time for me. I was much more used to moving my thumb, rather than my entire right hand. Game play still felt sluggish no matter how much I played though.

A Dpad is just not as intuitive and natural as a mouse. With a directional pad you are absolutely limited to the scroll speed the buttons are set to.

In the end I believe that while analog fps on console can be fun, it can't match the mouse, even a track ball. Your wrist, fingers, hand and arm have many more bones and muscles permitting movement that is NOT possible with just your thumb.

Morvak said:
hm.

well maybe i just never gave it enough of a chance and was too accustomed to the PC for so many years.

:)

There are benifits. Like stated some people become very, very good with a controller. Maybe not as good as a keyboard/mouse combo, but its all relative. e.g. everyone on a console uses a controller so there is a level playing field so its more about skill and experience then equiptment or hacks.

Now I'm not saying hacks don't exist on Live, but they are SO much more rare then cheaters in PC games. Its a constant headache for multiplayer FPS PC gamers that is almost non-existant on Live.

So people adapt and get used to the controls.

Isn't the Wii going to bring a whole new level to this soon? The Wii-mote is gonna rawk my sawks once a multi-player FPS come out [if ever].

Krome said:
Isn't the Wii going to bring a whole new level to this soon? The Wii-mote is gonna rawk my sawks once a multi-player FPS come out [if ever].

That will be a happy day :D

They won't look as good as the offerings from the other guys, but damn they'll play awesome :)

Some FPS feel more natural on a console, like Halo or Gears of War. I think it just has to do with the right combination of stick acceleration, auto-aim, and accuray.

FudgeNuggets said:
better question.... why play an fps at all? If you've played one, you've played them all: run around a maze, get guns, shoot monsters, flip a couple of switches , fight a boss, rinse and repeat.

For once, could you stop trolling and add to the conversation for once? We know you absolutely dislike FPS's. The "played one, played 'em all" motto could go for anything, Final Fantasy, educational games, Mario games. It's about fun, and some people's opinions of fun are different. So give it a rest, okay? It's getting annoying.

the thing is.. who would play halo on pc
i wouldnt.
but i wouldnt play cs1.6 on xbox either..

to me it just depends on the type of fps. halo is very easy to play with few buttons.
cs would be impossible to play with a controller
and of course pc fps's are full of hacks where any 10 year old can dl hax and own the game.
on a console it would take a good deal of knowledge about computers to hack on a console fps.

Back