• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Run windows through linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edward78

Is there a app. to run windows the OS on a HDD through linux? My dad said he heard someone talking about doing it yesterday.

you want VMware server. You can do that and it's best if you have a dual core CPU otherwise things will run kinda slow. You won't be able to do stuff like play games but you can run normal windows apps like IM clients email and normal programs.

TalRW said:
you want VMware server.

I disagree. He wants either Xen or QEMU + KVM.

Xen currently is more advanced than KVM. KVM is the built in support for virtulization on the linux kernel. It came in kernel 2.6.20. As stated though, there is no way yet to run 3d acceleration yet, although is been on the back burner.

Also, you remember about WINE right? WINE works with a lot of applications.

Last edited:
Shelnutt2 said:
I disagree. He wants either Xen or QEMU + HVM.

Xen currently is more advanced than HVM. HVM is the built in support for virtulization on the linux kernel. It came in kernel 2.6.20. As stated though, there is no way yet to run 3d acceleration yet, although is been on the back burner.

Also, you remember about WINE right? WINE works with a lot of applications.

Not emulate windows, actually run it from linux, like the OS is a app. Is there anything I can download to recover windows like a livecd??

could you explain your situation a bit more? Are you trying to install a fresh version of windows that you can run on top of linux so that you can run windows applications that don't have a linux version available or recover an existing install of windows that has broken. If you are trying to recover a broken one and trying to get your files off you will probably want to try a liveCD and like knoppix or ubuntu live CD to see if you can recover your data.

TalRW said:
could you explain your situation a bit more? Are you trying to install a fresh version of windows that you can run on top of linux so that you can run windows applications that don't have a linux version available or recover an existing install of windows that has broken. If you are trying to recover a broken one and trying to get your files off you will probably want to try a liveCD and like knoppix or ubuntu live CD to see if you can recover your data.

Well, I am getting a stop error, & I don't have the CD.

Edward78 said:
Not emulate windows, actually run it from linux, like the OS is a app. Is there anything I can download to recover windows like a livecd??

VMWare, Qemu, etc are virtual machines. You literally install your operating system in an emulated computer. They appear as a window in the host OS. You can also use a pre-existent partition and set the virtual machine to boot from it but this requires some configuration in the client OS so that it recognizes the VM's virtual hardware.

However, if your problem is that you are having trouble booting into windows, this isn't what you want. I believe that windows has a 'live' recovery CD. You should probably be able to google for it.

Edward78 said:
Well, I am getting a stop error, & I don't have the CD.

Right, if you are having trouble booting Windows, you won't be able to boot it in a virtual machine. If you've lost your CD you could talk to the MS tech people about a replacement. I don't know what their policy about this is though.

Some Linux liveCDs, like Knoppix, will let you mess with a windows installation and even edit the registry, but this might take some doing.

Edward78 said:
Wine Is Not an Emulator

As for Accessing your Broken Windows Installation, A Live CD would be the Option.

Edward78 said:
Virtualization is not emulation.

Experimentally, you can use vmware on a physical disk. I haven't actually used this functionality, so I can't speak to how well it works (if indeed it does).

there was an article the other day about Dell possibly releasing new computers that have a chip with a Hypervisor on them, allowing you to run 2 os's at the same time...i think the hypervisor would be Xen or some VMWare product that i can't remember the name of.

It sounds like that is what you are talking about.

Edward78 said:
I don't know why MS doesn't make a app. you can just download for free & copy to a CDRW to make a boot recovery CD?

Why provide quality DIY tools when you can make them dependent on tech support? Transform Windows from a product to a service and you have your customers more tied to you than ever.

Well, that's the cynic's opinion. They may not really be that sneaky. Maybe.

illuminati11_13 said:
Why provide quality DIY tools when you can make them dependent on tech support? Transform Windows from a product to a service and you have your customers more tied to you than ever.

Well, that's the cynic's opinion. They may not really be that sneaky. Maybe.

Oh ya, MS is a greedy P.O.S. company :)

Back