• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio & Video ripping software - what to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crossed_wires

Hi all - I have a couple questions actually. I have a large amount of VHS and cassette tapes that I want to rip onto DVDs or CDs, to preserve them. You see, most of them aren't easily replacable as most are bootlegs of concerts and stuff like that.

1)Is there an audio ripping utility out there that will convert line in (cassette deck to the audio input on sound card, I would guess) to mp3? Is winamp capable?

2)Also, I'd like to rip VHS tapes to DVD (using RCA cables to video in and audio in on comp, I would guess) and then convert to mpg or (better yet) DVD format?

3)Similar to #2, is there something that can rip streaming video from, say, YouTube and convert to mpg?

Just want to know what most of you use. I've been procrastinating on doing this for several years and it's now time.
Thanks.
-Ryan

Last edited:
For #3, VideoDownloader plugin for firefox will do the trick most of the time.

For #1, Audacity works very well ;)

For #2, get a Dazzle studio external box, you can record anything through composite/s-video.

Back