• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats your favorite web site designer/manager?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oxalic32

I'm look for a free tool to help me manage and build a website. The only one i've played with is Joomla. It seems pretty good but are there others? Which ones have you guys played with and which would you recommend? Building my own site simply takes too much free time that i've run out of.

Vim!!!

Just kidding, but of what where you thinking? Do you need interactivity? A database backend? XHTML + CSS? Is this just a personal vanity site? A blog? A complicated webapp? What you check out depends a lot on what you are trying to do.

Morvak said:
Exactly, use html and write your own website i made and published a website for a college assignment, i was bricking it. but i took a keen interest in html and came out with an 8 page interactive website for a made up computer shop. and guess what i passed the assignment with a distinction. but seriosly html is not to be taken lightly it can get hard and frustrating but it is fun. i have also used dreamweaver i know it is not free but download the free version and have ago it is really easy to use, i made a website using this software at college, takes half the time that html does and its easier to move images etc. :santa2:

yeah that's how i learned html - i grabbed Dreamweaver and reverseengineered various websites and looked at the code and figured that out and CSS too.

then you realise everything is really just a bunch of nested Tables TD's and TR's unless you are using CSS, or a combination of both.

Oxalic32 said:
http://www.fatwallet.com/news/
http://slickdeals.net/
http://www.woot.com/

Each site features "page of the day". Each one has links to deals or other pages. Each has a forum. I'm looking for a similar setup. There sites are clean and simple. I'm not making a web app. I doesnt need unique interactivity.

E-commerce sites are webapps. So are blogs, web forums, guest books, anything with sessions, and all that jazz. Generally, webapps are anything that involves dynamic content. I you really want to imitate something like these you would have to learn something like php or jsp. Basically, to do
a simple blog you would write a simple php app that would store posts in a database and then generate a main page based on whatever entry was most recent. This would allow you to simply write new entries and have the site automatically updated. With some html/css magic you could then make the site look like anything you want, from a news service, to a tech rumor site.

There are some good prebuilt, OSS, webapps that you can use to get a jump start. WordPress, Magento, B2Evolution, CubeCart, OS Commerce, SMF, etc, etc. Just Google the functionality you are looking for and you should find something.

As for content managers like Joomla, there are Drubal, Geeklog, PHP-Nuke, phpWcms, phpWebSite, Post Nuke, Siteframe, TYPO3, and Xoops just to name the ones my web hosting provides for me. I don't use any of them, however, so I can't comment on their utility.

Joomla & Mambo = Ugh!
I cannot stand canned CMS systems. It is far more work to create update and maintain your site than just opening the page in an editor (dreaweaver, homesite, notepad, whatever...) and editing it yourself. I tried using Mambo on a corporate brochure/product site. What a NIGHTMARE! You are locked into their template setup unless you are a javascript, php, whatever... scripting whiz. And if you want to make some simple change you have to drill through menus and use their crappy editor, BAH! Needless to say I stripped the CMS out after a couple months and went back to good old TMS (Thund3rball Management System - LOL).

Back