• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Improving the stock 8800 cooler.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sno.lcn

Senior2 Member
This was console's idea but I figured I'd share since I did it on mine with excellent results. It's also mentioned in this thread.

What he did on his 8800 GTS was take the black cover off (4 small screws, one in each corner) and blow a fan directly into the cooling fins & heatpipe. He used a 92mm fan & I believe zip ties, I used an 80mm fan and screws.

The core temp while playing 3dmark 05 @ 660/1020 went down from 61C to 54C. I also put some IC Diamond so that probably helped a little too. I didn't plug the original fan back in since I figured it'll just blow air around my case but I'll see if it somehow helps later. I don't remember if console plugged his in or not. Anyway here's some pics.

pict0052ta7.jpg

pict0056qq6.jpg

Try to mount only the part of the shroud that is over the blower, to direct the air through the fins and out the rear of the case. I would guess, that the 80mm is doing most of the cooling, but is just blowing the air all over the place. Using the centrifugal blower sould help direct all that air in the correct direction.

I also did this exact mod, except with a 92mm Delta rated at 110CFM. Running at full speed, i found absolutly no change in load temps over the stock cooler. Idle was better off though. I came to the conclusion that the stock 8800GTS cooler is maxed out from the factory. the heatpipes are at the limit of the heat they can move. As a result of my findings (i ran with the fan for 2 weeks) i have returned the cooler back to stock. Keep in mind that i run a TFB1212GHE 220CFM delta fan on my big typhoon, so noise wasn't a concern, i couldn't even hear the 92mm.

Would there be any way to replace the stock fan on the left side of the picture with am 80mm fan blowing AWAY from the card? In my mind, that would cause the airflow from the existing 80mm to circulate over, up, and away from the card.

GerrFel said:
Would there be any way to replace the stock fan on the left side of the picture with am 80mm fan blowing AWAY from the card? In my mind, that would cause the airflow from the existing 80mm to circulate over, up, and away from the card.
I was going to put another fan there but I couldn't find anything to mount it to.

As soon as I move into my dorm tomorrow I'll start playing with it some more, I know there's a really awesome way to do it but I can't figure it out yet. I have some good ideas but we'll see. I was going to cut the 80mm square out of the stock cooler for the fan but I would only be able to mount half of it since I don't see the other half staying intact. Plus there might be a slight airflow conflict. Maybe if I drill holes through the cooling fins so the air has more place to go from the 80mm? I would just buy a thermalright but that kinda takes all the fun out of it ;)

Back