Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

networking with roadrunner

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 12:03 PM Thread Starter   #1
Wicked Klown
Hard Ass Southern Boy Senior

10 Year Badge

networking with roadrunner

Ok seems my dad has a small issue. For the past few years he has tried to get his two computers on the same network. He has tried a Dlink router and as of today a network hub. Seems neither will allow him to get both rigs on the net at the same time. How can we go about getting moth computers internet access and networking?

Media Server | Norco RPC-470 | GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 | Phenom II X4 925 Deneb | 8gigs G.SKILL Ripjaws PC3 10666 | 64gig Crucial M4 | x2 2TB Samsung F3 | x2 1TB Samsung F1 | x1 2TB Samsung F4 | 500gigs Seagate 7200.10 | Sapphire HD4830 HDMI | Corsair 650hx

HEAT

"Never surrender. You're too much of a hardass to die on everyone." - Voodoo Rufus
Wicked Klown is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-16-07, 12:18 PM   #2
Jon
Just Another Retired Moderator

10 Year Badge

The hub definately isn't going to work unless ICS is setup on one of them or the ISP hands IP addresses for each box. The router should be doing it as there will be an embedded DHCP server, which must be enabled unless you're using static addressing on each system.

The router should be addressed something similar to 192.168.0.1/subenet 255.255.255.0 and receive its WAN addressing from the cable/DSL modem. System1 should be addressed 192.168.0.2/subnet 255.255.255.0/gateway 192.168.0.1/DNS 192.168.0.1 and System2 should be 192.168.0.3/subnet 255.255.255.0/gateway 192.168.0.1/DNS 192.168.0.1. This addressing scheme will hold true under static or DHCP addressing.

Old 08-16-07, 12:19 PM   #3
kukyfrope

Should go Modem > Router > Comp 1 & Comp 2. There's no reason the router should not pickup an IP from the modem. I'm not sure if RR allocates you 1 or more IPs, so a Hub may not work.

If he knows how to setup a router, it shouldn't be a problem, but obviously he doesn't. You might try helping him with that and giving a more specific question for us like...

Can the router receive an IP from the modem?
Are both computers able to connect to a router via 192.168.x.x address?
Does each computer work independently if hooked Modem > Router ?
kukyfrope is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-16-07, 12:34 PM Thread Starter   #4
Wicked Klown
Hard Ass Southern Boy Senior

10 Year Badge

Before he blew up his router this morning. He was able to get one rig on the internet but only one. He went modem > router > rig 1 > rig 2.

Media Server | Norco RPC-470 | GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 | Phenom II X4 925 Deneb | 8gigs G.SKILL Ripjaws PC3 10666 | 64gig Crucial M4 | x2 2TB Samsung F3 | x2 1TB Samsung F1 | x1 2TB Samsung F4 | 500gigs Seagate 7200.10 | Sapphire HD4830 HDMI | Corsair 650hx

HEAT

"Never surrender. You're too much of a hardass to die on everyone." - Voodoo Rufus
Wicked Klown is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-16-07, 12:41 PM   #5
CreePinG_DeatH

10 Year Badge

Did he clone the mac address of the working PC to the router? That's what normally needs to be done so that the ISP's computers think only 1 pc is connected.

XFX AMD 7850 1GB / EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB
Samsung 830 240gb Boot Windows 7 x64 Pro
2 x WD 640GB Black's in Raid 1
2 x Misc Sata2 HDD's for storage

My Heatware
CreePinG_DeatH is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-16-07, 03:07 PM   #6
systemhost

Meh, I have 7 computers running off my rr connection. Just modem -> router -> computers! Dunno, for me, the modem is dhcp, so nothing I need to config, just plug and play. Just try to get one computer working right, once you have that, just plug the other one into the router...
systemhost is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-16-07, 08:40 PM   #7
Mr.Guvernment

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreePinG_DeatH
Did he clone the mac address of the working PC to the router? That's what normally needs to be done so that the ISP's computers think only 1 pc is connected.

only if your ISP is doing mac address filtering which is so 1980's

he should have it as

modem ----> router (DHCP)
--------> computer 1
--------> computer 2

both computers plug into the LAN ports on the router (usually 4 of them)

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

Mr.Guvernment is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-16-07, 08:51 PM   #8
CreePinG_DeatH

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Guvernment

he should have it as

--------> computer 1
--------> computer 2

That's what Comcast in the Chicago area does I guess. Comcast will only hook up 1 computer and register it to the modem unless you pay them $200 to hook up a router and clone the MAC.

XFX AMD 7850 1GB / EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB
Samsung 830 240gb Boot Windows 7 x64 Pro
2 x WD 640GB Black's in Raid 1
2 x Misc Sata2 HDD's for storage

My Heatware
CreePinG_DeatH is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-16-07, 09:45 PM   #9
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

I didn't think ISPs could technically filter macs behind the modem. As far as the isp is concerned, they register the mac of your modem and the modem doesn't do dhcp, so it will only serve one device, a pc or router. On their network this enables your WAN access. Anything behind the routers (computers) are invisible as far as your isp is concerned because your router is doing NAT. I've never had this stated problem and I do a lot of in home support nationwide. I could be wrong, I would have just thought itd be something I've encountered in the past 3 years. If your dad has PPPoE internet service, skip to the end of this post.

If I were trying to fix this problem, I would start by powercycling the modem and pressing the reset button and holding it per the manufacturer instructions to set it back to factory defaults. I would then let it finish booting, waiting for the status lights to stabilize. On the computers, I would ensure both are set to obtain ip and dns automatically, then I would connect them to the router. Once they have received an ip address and show as connected, I would test internet access by pinging google.com... If I did not get a response, I would try to ping google via ip address to see if dns resolution was at fault. If ping by ip failed then I would be sure that there was a networking issue still, and at that point I would contact the isp to find out if restrictions on their network were causing my issue.

That said, all of this would be a waste of time if the ISP was providing PPPoE internet. You know if you have PPPoE internet when your isp gives you a username and password. If that is the case, you must have a router which supports PPPoE (wrt54g does), or you will have issues like that which you are seeing.

Last edited by I.M.O.G.; 08-16-07 at 09:50 PM.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-16-07, 09:55 PM   #10
Neuromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Guvernment

he should have it as

--------> computer 1
--------> computer 2

Thats exactly how cable registers their modems I thought. You arent activated "by address" you are activated by MAC address. I used my modem at sopmeone elses house before that didnot have a filter on their line and it worked fine.

As for road runner, connect everything power everything off... Turn on modem, wait till 2 lights are on turn on router... then turn on PCS...

Lastly.. .dump Dlink its junk

Linux is the stepchild of the OS world. "You told me to set 192.168.0.266 ip address", okay >>>Kernel PANIC - Me
Neuromancer is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-17-07, 03:36 AM   #11
Mr.Guvernment

10 Year Badge

they usually use the mac address on the modem to control you at the gateway for speeds and such, after that they dont note what comes after the modem, but this is also why router maker hve the option to input or clone a mac address just incase the ISP is still living in the stone age and locks IP's to MAC addys like they still do in costa rica.

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

Mr.Guvernment is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.