• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is my vid way too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

One Bull

Hey people
I recently got my Xeon 3060 (e6600 but then picked) and was a bit disapointed by it's vid. It was well in the 1.3 (I think 1.32V if I recall correctly). The lower vid of the xeons was the main factor in my choice for this cpu. Anyway after a few weeks at stock I decided to look if it was stable at a lower Vcore. I was astounded, the only vcore where I didn't get 24hours Orthos stable was the lowest setting on my board, 1.1000V!

So I was just wondering: Why is the vid of my xeon 3060 1.3something if it's actually 24 hour orthos stable at 1.1125V?

Some ppl put alot of stock in the Stock Vids I dont at all 2 manny times i have seen higher vid cpus oc farther than the low ones

0.2V higher may be necessary to ensure that chip will run at the 2.4GHz stock speed 24/7. Server boards are not intended for OCing so the board will detect what the vcore needs to be set at. Intel feels that one needs to run at a higher vcore. Itis programmed into the chip for that reason.

My Xeon 3060 has a vid of 1.2750 whereas my E6600 has a vid of 1.100. But both will run 3.71GHz at 1.40vcore dialed into the bios.

Back