• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer won't POST with nothing attached

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeaponX6X

Two weeks ago I was at my parent's house. The computer was working fine...I had just hooked up our satellite box to the TV Tuner in the PC. I visit them again this weekend and they tell me that computer hasn't been turning on.

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
FSP PSU
Nvidia 6200 TC
2x512MB Corsair RAM
200GB SATA HDD
120GB IDE HDD
DVD-RW IDE
Netgear 802.11b/g wifi card
Leadtek TV Tuner
AMD Athlon 64 3200+

I set the mobo to only show the Asus splash screen during the POST. When I turn the computer on it simply sits there. At the bottom it says its usual Press 'Del' to enter setup. The computer never says "System has complete Power on Self Test, now booting to operating system" like it normally does. So I assume it never finishes the POST. If I press Delete, it says Entering Setup... but never does. I've let it sit both ways for hours.

I've taken out/disconnected everything but the PSU, video card, and 1 512MB stick of RAM. To my dismay, the computer still does not POST. Nothing was ever overclocked and for the last couple years it has done little else than open and close Firefox. No games, no movies, nothing.

I'm going back to my place(3 hours away) tonight so if I could figure this out today that'ld be great. I'm gonna try swapping out the PSU and video card and hope that works...if it doesn't...I guess it's the mobo?

:bang head :bang head :bang head :mad: :mad: :mad: :bang head :bang head :bang head

That was almost too easy. Thanks for the help, it's booting up properly now

Ah dodged a bullet there, I had an A8N-E and the chipset fan died. Chipset burned up, no POST, 3 weeks RMA and 1 way postage to fix it.

Lame.

hmm...the southbridge fan is dying...perhaps it's more urgent than I realized

southbridge, chipset, same thing... sorta

Anywho yeah that fan died on me, from what I found it looks like an issue with the model. I'm not using that board atm but I'll be putting a passive cooler on it before I use it again.

Yeah apparently there was a bad batch of fans. I read Asus was replacing them for free...I should look more into that

Back