• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weekend Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grimm003

This is not so much computer related, but everyone is usually helpful so hopefully someone can at least give me a push in the right direction. I just bought a new HTiB and an LCD tv. Every receiver I've had or seen in the past has had an AC outlet on the back that would allow another device to turn on when the receiver was turned on. Mine doesn't and I want to have this lamp I bought turn on whenever my receiver or tv is on.

What would I need to do this? My receiver is Onkyo HT-SR600 and my tv is Olevia 237v. I do not want to cut the cords of the receiver or tv to get power. I don't mind building anything but I would like to keep this relatively cheap, and does radio shack or someplace sell anything like this? Maybe even done through an IR signal that could be sent from a remote or Lirc system in linux?

Last edited:
Well... You could get one of those multifuction learning remotes like the Logitech Harmony or Sony Commander.

Then if they are good at learning, use something like this:

http://www.x10wiredhome.com/

It may be possible for you to learn the X10 remote code into the Sony or Logitech remotes. If you can then all you need to do is create a custom turn on macro to one of the buttons.

So push a button and the light, receiver and TV all turn on in order. I have a Sony Commander remote that I have set to turn my DVR, TV and Reveiver on with one button.

That's pretty cool. I've thought about getting the Logitech Harmony remote control before, and this seems like it would be the best route to go. Thanks

Back