• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Q6600 G0 Stepping cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlabit

Registered
I moved this from CPU forum. Should have put it here. Sorry.

I have just a little experience in overclocking, running a a single core AMD 64 2.4 ghz to 2.7. I just purchased a Q6600 G0 stepping CPU with a Gigabyte P35-DS3R motherboard. The heatsink is a Thermalright Ultra Extreme lapped by the supplier, running a Scythe 120mm fan recommended by members on this forum. I am getting idle temps currently of 54, 51, 50, & 47 degrees running at 3.0 ghz (9 x 333). When I ran Orthos on cores 0 & 1, I got temps of 65/66 degrees. Like I said above, the heatsink was lapped and it looks like the supplier did a great job with it. I am afraid to try to lap the CPU yet because it is so new and I don't want to void the warranty until I give it a few hours. I have already tried removing the heatsink, reapplying the Artic Silver 5, according to the manufacturers instructions, and according to things I have read on this forum. Any idea what else I can do for lowering temps, beyond lapping the CPU, which I won't be willing to do for a few weeks at least? Does this seem like exceedingly high temps to you guys?

I appreciate all the help given so far. Thanks for your assistance.

Jim

Thanks for quick response.

I have a Lian Li PC61 case, which has 2 X 80mm intake fans up front. It also has 1 x 80 mm exhaust fan in the rear, and 1 x 80mm exhaust fan in the top, which was removed to make room for a larger than normal PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W power supply. Not sure exactly what the ambient room temp is because I don't have a thermostat to directly measure it, but it is located in the bottom of a computer desk located in an office in my house, where the thermostat is set for 76 degrees F. Hope that provides the info you need. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Idle temps are high.
What voltage did you set for the cpu in the bios?
what speed is the Scythe fan running at?

How long ago did you put together the system? They say a lot times the thermal compound needs to broken in, meaning let the computer run and the thermal compound should work its way up to its best heat transfer.

Another example besides computers that means the same thing. When you buy a new baseball glove. The glove is really stiff and it takes time for it to loosen up.

Same way with thermal compound, the computer needs to run quite awhile before the thermal compound works like it should.

That cpu temp reading could be off or could be right as well.

You can know whether your HSF is working properly if you try under voltage OC (here) and see your cpu temp delta load-idle while uvoc.

If its below 10C, then its in good working order.

Thanks for your reply

I had the CPU voltage set on automatic. Like I said earlier, I'm a noob at overclocking. Looks like bios had it set for 1.38 volts, which is kind of high. I reset it to 1.2 volts and will test it on Prime 95.

Back