• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, so what really kills ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Volts, or heat?

I have some ocz pc8500, and according to their site, they say my ram is rated for 2.3-2.35v. Without a fan, at even 2.15v, they can get pretty toasty. i have that ocz ram fan blowing accross the sticks, and my ambients are fairly cool, and so are the stix. so, if i run their rated voltage, and keep them cool, would i still be a candidate for electron migration? would that even apply to me?

ok, so heres a cpuz screen

th_01763_cpuzmem_122_1049lo.jpg

ok, so again,they are rated for 1066 at 2.3v, but they run that no sweat with 2.1v. 2.3-2.35 gives me 1200mhz tho, wich is alot more appealing then 1066, and is within their rated voltage.. can i run em and be safe, or im i setting myself up for a nasty fall for the future? ive seen the d9 thread at xs. people have stix dieing at as low as 2.1v, up to the more extreme 2.4+++. but alot of the guys that have had sticks die, dont really say if they kept em cool or not.. my pc has wicked case flow, air everywhere, like a wind tunnel pretty much. i know, i have to dust it once a week or so heheh..

It is a combination of both actually. Keepng them cool is important but putting too much vdimm into them while cooled will kill them quicker than running say 2.1vdimm and not cooling them.

3 things can kill any computer component:
1) Heat - which is why every computer needs fans (or a water cooling system which usually still has a fan or two)
2) Static - this includes dust buildup and random static discharges
3) Over voltage - this can cause Heat or Static, or it can come from lightning striking out a power grid.

Finding the balance between voltage and heat is everybodies quest. As you stated above, freeagent, you don't know exactly how those guys killed their RAM.

Just practice your preemptive maintenance and you should be fine with your 2.3/1200MHz rating.

This quote is from Madshrimps on the reviews on this page.
We're pleased to announce that the OCZ PC8500 was able to get up to 1130Mhz DDR2, a 6% overclock. The voltage at which the modules reached this setting was 2.4V, nicely within warranty..

Penumbra said:
3 things can kill any computer component:
1) Heat - which is why every computer needs fans (or a water cooling system which usually still has a fan or two)
2) Static - this includes dust buildup and random static discharges
3) Over voltage - this can cause Heat or Static, or it can come from lightning striking out a power grid.[/URL]
4) Poor vdimm regulation on some boards, vdimm fluctuations and surges, hitting reset multiple times too fast, etc

Eldonko is absolutely right. The irregular currents of voltage kills RAM faster than anything else can. Heat only becomes an issue when it is prolonged.

Back