• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e4400 + Gigabyte DS3L troubles...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vanquish502

Registered
So everyone knows an e4400 can do 3 GHZ on stock voltage. I have yet to see this :/ I've seen screenshots of people doing it with this combo, but why can't I?

I've had it up to 2.4GHz, and it wasn't stable. I've had the CPU voltage up to 1.35 and select others up .1 or .2 volts also...It just wont stay stable? The temperature i'm given in the BIOS says 40C...

Once overclocked it will boot fine and be happy, but as soon as I open anything to view processor information(Windows or 3rd party) I get a BSOD and it restarts...and then my BIOS resets to "DISABLE" for user-defined FSB.

I've also read there are different chips for the e4400, some that overclock and some that don't. Anyone know the stepping(or whatever else may vary) difference between the two chips, so I can tell which I have?

Specs:
e4400 @ 2.0
Gigabyte DS3L(P35)
2 GB Patriot Extreme PC6400(5-5-5-12)
BFG 256MB 8600GT OC PCI-e

^Nothing overclocked because it wont let me :(

ANy input greatly appreciated. I bought this to overclock and not have to spend $300+ on a processor :/

Also:

If I set the bios all to "AUTO", it shows my FSB at 266 and my multiplier at 10...which makes 2.66 GHZ. Which I only have an e4400to run at 2.0GHZ. Windows will even show 2 GHZ.

Thoughts?

Can't say that I have...didnt know there was an update.

edit: the software included with the motherboard has the bios update...however the program just crashes whenever I click update.

Can you connect to the Internet? The BIOS updat may be trying to download the update, but if you haven't installed the LAN driver then it may be getting stuck.

If I'm wrong there is probably another way to update the BIOS using a floppy. Read your MoBo manual or go to the Gigabyte website for details.

jason4207 said:
Can you connect to the Internet? The BIOS updat may be trying to download the update, but if you haven't installed the LAN driver then it may be getting stuck.

If I'm wrong there is probably another way to update the BIOS using a floppy. Read your MoBo manual or go to the Gigabyte website for details.

On forum aren't I, lol.
I will check Website, and Get back to this....BRB:beer:

So I updated my bios to F4B, which the website lists as latest for the DS3L.

Still getting nowhere. Set it up to run @ 2.5ghz @ 1.35 volts, pressed F10 and it did its thing...

Comes up in windows @ 2.0, everything still stock...not sure what I'm doing wrong here. If I try to overclock with the ETC crap, when I click "GO!" the comp just freezes...

Anything? Anyone lol

So I reset the BIOS all back to normal and got back to windows and opened ETC. Now it has the vcore set up 1.52. So I tried overclocking a bit with it set there.

Got it to 2250, once past that it just froze...

CPU-Z says FSB: DRAM is 1:2

Not sure what else will help...but anything appreciated.

When I view 'My Computers' properties, it says 2.00GHZ, however CPU-Z and Gigabyte ET(latest) both say 1200...(200x6). The BIOS also says 200x10...

I am so lost.

Last edited:
what cooler are you using? hopefully not stock. if ur bios
says 40C, then ur in trouble. the cpu doesnt do anything
in bios, so u should be getting high 20s/low 30s at most.
in windows, use core temp to get ur real temps.

and where are you seeing people get 3ghz on stock
voltages? ive been doing quite some research and can
barely even find anything on the e4400 (most people have
the e4300). personally, i can only get 2.9 on stock volts.
going to 3.2 requires another .125 V (1.325 -> 1.45 - HOT).

there are 2 different steppings, L2 and M0, but i dont really
know whats different about them aside from M0 being slightly
better in power usage.

Vanquish502 said:
When I view 'My Computers' properties, it says 2.00GHZ, however CPU-Z and Gigabyte ET(latest) both say 1200...(200x6). The BIOS also says 200x10...

thats C1E/EIST at work. read more about it and overclocking
here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

Last edited:
Coretemp is telling me the same. Core1 is at 40 and core2 is at 39. TJunction is at 100?

its probably over heating, idle temps don't mean much of anything (but yours are high), the temps you should worry about are loaded temps (running Orthos Prime)

don't use any of those throttling programs or autooverclock, turn those pos's off and only overclock in your bios.

I just got my E4400 up and running yesterday on a cheapo Asrock 4coredual-vsta. After making sure it was operating properly I immediately bumped it to 290x10 (known to be the FSB limit on this board without mods) and it's running like 58* in speedtest and 73* in TAT at full load under orthos on both cores with the stock cooler. This is at stock out of the box voltage on the stock cooler. I was told in another thread that these temps are perfectly acceptable.

See!!!! ^^^

I cant get mine past 2200 without instability. I even had the voltage up to 1.50 and still got nowhere.

I've read my temps are normal for an e4400 with a stock cooler...but I'll give her a load test and find out.

Ran orthos and core temp and the same time and it crashed. Switched off that EIST crap and works fine it seems. Under load it wnt up to a max of 57 degrees.

Back