• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just built a PC through newegg, turns on for a few seconds, shuts off...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skankaholikk

Registered
Hey guys,
I helped a friend order/build a PC with everything from Newegg. I've done it before, so I know what I'm doing for the most part. I'll list the parts and as many details as I can. If you guys have any questions, let me know and I'll give him a call. I don't have the equipment on me.

Ok... after some thought, scratch that idea. All I know is that it is a AMD AM2 Dual-Core processor and an ASUS AMD AM2 socket Motherboard, an eVGA 256MB graphics card, 500Watt power supply, 2GB of ram, 320 GB Seagate harddrive, and a lite-on DVD burner. With 500 Watts that should be fine for the power, so I doubt it's an issue with that, right? Could it be something with the processor/heatsink? We've tried rotating the heatsink, and it still does the same thing. Fan even runs on it each time. I'll get the model name/number of the motherboard and processor ASAP.

Basically we turn it on, all the fans spin, and the lights light up. It sounds like the harddrive starts to read and everything, but it just completely powers down after the 5-10 seconds of being on. We figured maybe something with the wiring or the Processor?

But yeah, any ideas? I'm in sort of a rush and trying to get as many details down as I can, but like I said, if theres any questions, let me know.

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Jon

Are the stand-offs correctly installed? Find out what make/model the PSU is, as it sounds like a potential power issue.

Yes, standoffs separate the board from the case. Make sure they are the metal ones and not plastic.

Make sure (if it's indeed the one he has) the power supply has the right voltage selected on the back of it.

Remove CMOS battery, wait 3-30 min, replace and try again. Without knowing the motherboard, does it have a clear CMOS jumper near the CMOS batter? If so, boards used to ship with it set to "CLEAR", may need to remove that.

Any beeps? (Assuming the PC speaker header is plugged in, again depends on board)

Does the video initialize at all? Does the motherboard have on-board video? If so, plug monitor into that.

Also, remove everything from the system to JUST the bare minimum...1 stick of ram, (try the other if no change) no drives, no PCI/PCI-E cards, etc.

You can eliminate the power supply by trying another. If you have a similar set up, that helps a whole lot.

Ok I got some good news. We flipped the switch on the back of the power supply from 115V to 230V and that seemed to work. The computer now stays on. Unfortunately, we plugged a monitor in and there is no BIOS screen coming up. The power stays on, the fans spin, the graphics card's fan even spins, but nothing. We tried both PCI-x16 slots, no luck on either of them. Any ideas? Thank you guys for all the suggestions on the first problem. I can't believe it was that simple!

Are you in Europe or something? I was under the impression that you could fry your components by using the 230V setting in the US, but I could very well be wrong.

Hey Scott,
We're in PA, so yeah, if that does fry it, we'll switch it back. Only problem is, when we switch it back to 115V it doesn't stay on for more than 5 seconds.

So: 230V - Stays on but no BIOS screen.
115V - Still no screen, shuts off after 4-5 seconds.

We tried resetting the CMOS, and various other tactics that are described here - http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=266936 .

Any ideas?

You have the 8pin power connector plugged in near the CPU? I always used to forget that :) And I would for sure leave the Voltage switch on the back of the PSU set to whatever the correct setting is for where you live. Where is PA? Also try resetting everything and when you do so take it down to the bare minimum of components. One stick of RAM, Video Card, HD and see if it posts.

PA = Pennsylvania. Not sure which 8-pin connector you mean, but I'm pretty sure I got it or would have seen it. As far as a bare-minimum set up, we tore alot of stuff out so it's like that right now. Still no luck.

Not to be a bugger or anything, but did you make sure to ground yourself when installing all the parts?

I know its a sad idea and I thought the whole static thing was blasphemy till I fried 3 of my 4 buffalo sticks that I ordered because I zapped them.

And leave it on 115V or your going to really damage something. :p

Apevia PSU's are rubbish in my opinion. Try a different PSU if you have a extra floating around.

If it ends up being the PSU, talk to a newegg rep about switching it out with this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

Used a Thermaltake PSU in my file server for about 4 years and still running strong.

Last edited:
ive had similar problems recently. i put in a wd raptor (i got for 30 bucks), cleaned all the dust out, tried a new heatsink too. thats when i had the problem of it shutting down. so i put on the old heatsink and wham it worked. my problem was, for some reason the new heatsink wasnt making enough contact on the chip so it was simply over heating. that MIGHT be the issue. are u getting any beep codes at all? could be that the memory is not compatible with the board. i suppose the power supply could also be dead. i know its all new and everything, but even so a bad power supply can sometimes have enough power to turn the fans on and nothing else. i would try a different power supply if you got one laying around. im not to familiar with the new amd stuff but check with the board manufacturer to make sure the cpu will work with that board. just some thoughts. have a good one!

Yogurt

OMG.

He has an apevia PSU probably the worst PSU you could possibly buy.

Get rid of it and get a proper PSU.

when apevia was "aspire" they were not bad power supplies and tons of cables for equipment hookups :(

in regards to the OP have you tried taking out the mobo/ cpu and trying a run outside the case?

you may be shorting something out as previously said.

i think it's the power supply. have you tested the power supply yet?. Test your power supply see if it stays on. I've come accross a problem like that in the past and it turned out to be the a faulty psu.

Skankaholikk, if you are talking about the first 10-20 seconds of a boot up, you are really talking about power or possibly problems with the heatsink or maybe no thermal paste etc. It's getting too hot and turning off, or it's not getting enough juice to something that's starting up and powering down.

Double check your connections to everything, extra power connector to the mobo, power to the video card? You could also try stripping down the system to just psu, mobo, ram, cpu and see if it boots. Possibly take everything out of the case and see if it will start sitting on a table or something.

As to T.N.D. you may want to make a new thread about your issue as it may get a little confusing if people are giving advice or instructions to one of you and the other does them.

Back