• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2900XT at 95c after short load in low ambient atmosphere

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vixro

I have had my 2900XT since May and have not seen it go above 80c hardly ever. A couple times when my ambient temp was over 40c I would see it get into the 90's, but other than that it's been pretty steady.

Any reason now after installing Cat 7.8's I'm seeing temps 87c-95c even when its 28c ambient in this room? Did I lose contact with the heatsink on the GPU or something?

edit: all I can think of is that the 7.8 or 7.7 cats changed the fan speed temperatures, my power supply change (ocz 700w gamextream -> silverstone DA750 8pin) added more voltage to the card, perhaps dust or heatsink contact isn't good anymore. Either way, anyone else notincing this crap recently?

Last edited:
eeek 95c

And a 40c ambient where do you live :eek:

Might be the fan thing any noise difference from before?

Forget cranking fan speed. If its rising the temp thats a driver thing. Have you tried the 7.6's again?

The fan doesn't appear to be spinning as fast as it usually does over 70c, and thats not helping for sure.

My intake fan appears to be blowing slower also.

77c @ 100% fan speed which sounds like a low end hand held vacuum cleaner.
85c @ 57% fan speed.
95c @ 40% fan speed.

The profiles were pretty weak, like 43% for everything up to 90c then it goes to like 47% for 90c, weak as ****.

I can't cahnge the profiles in Riva tuner and ATI Tool doesnt work since the latest windows update (*even with F8 boot disabled driver signing)

Before whatever changed, I had about 81-82c temperatures at full load and a quietish fan speed (probably 40-50%)

Last edited:
vixro said:
I have had my 2900XT since May and have not seen it go above 80c hardly ever. A couple times when my ambient temp was over 40c I would see it get into the 90's, but other than that it's been pretty steady.

Any reason now after installing Cat 7.8's I'm seeing temps 87c-95c even when its 28c ambient in this room? Did I lose contact with the heatsink on the GPU or something?

edit: all I can think of is that the 7.8 or 7.7 cats changed the fan speed temperatures, my power supply change (ocz 700w gamextream -> silverstone DA750 8pin) added more voltage to the card, perhaps dust or heatsink contact isn't good anymore. Either way, anyone else notincing this crap recently?

The Fan Speed versus Temperature is in bios and not effected by the drivers. Your change in computer
power supply will have no effect on the on-card operating voltages so no temp change from that either.

The Cat 7.8's are buggy and their may be a problem with the temp sensor compensation in them for
Vista 64 (if your sig is correct). Simplest way to check that is to roll back to an earlier driver version.

Check for dust bunnies in the GPU cooler and make sure your case fans are running. A case fan that
quits or has it air flow limited in some way kills case ventilation and will increase card temps. If your
new OCZ PS has a temp controlled fan it's fan may be running slow reducing case air flow as well.
Quickest way to quick check case venitlation issues is to pop a side panel off and see if the GFX
card temps drop.

Viper

Back