• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firebr4nd

Registered
I'm starting school soon and plan on getting a laptop to do all my work on. It would mostly be for stuff like Open Office, Photoshop, coding in VB or C++, Winamp and other music programs, and a game or two.

Has anyone had any experience with this laptop or other Asus laptops for that matter? I know they make top notch mobos and the like but I was just a bit concerned because I've never had any experience with them before.

Also, does anyone know if there is a version of that laptop with 2gb or ram or would I have to end up adding another myself?

Last edited:
Asus laptops aren't spectacular, but they are decent, and better than decent for gaming. Its just that that laptop might be TOO powerful for what you're doing, unless you wanna play games too.

For school work I'd suggest a thinkpad ultraportable, maybe the x61s . Its expensive obviously, but its one hell of a laptop, and its got 802.11n and insane battery life (8 hours with extended battery!)

Whats your budget? For something you take to class everyday I would get a 14.1, or atleast something as thin and light as a Macbook Pro.

The G1S is a step up from that one and I think it comes with 2GB but its a good bit more. Defintely nothing wrong with the F3. A T61p might fit your needs a little more though.

Thanks for the help guys.

I was originally looking at a Macbook (back to school discount and the like) because my friend grabbed one recently and I've heard nothing but good things from him. I've worked on them in class but never owned one myself. I eventually ended up dumping the idea of getting one and decided on that Asus laptop because it looks like could handle recent games on halfway decent settings and I would like my laptop to have my ability to do that instead of being stuck with an Intel chip. :/

Well the Macbook Pros have 8600M GT's in them depending on which model you get. I think you have to get the 2.4 ghz model to get the 256 meg version. If you get enough discounts it might be under $2000, not sure.

Daleon said:
Well the Macbook Pros have 8600M GT's in them depending on which model you get. I think you have to get the 2.4 ghz model to get the 256 meg version. If you get enough discounts it might be under $2000, not sure.

Yeah, I looked into them. Macs are great and all but I don't think I want to pay that much for a laptop that will mostly be used for school and some WC3 here and there. :-/

I would get a Dell customized to whatever specifications you're looking for. Edit: If you can sacrifice the ability to game, I would definitely recommend a Lenovo as well.

Last edited:
If you want to customize that asus check out geared2play.com
You could get the barebones cheaper and then put in whatever you want (get the proc from them though so you can get the warranty).

You can't go wrong with a levono, they are nice laptops. Same with the 1520s from dell. If you need to take your laptop to class I would wait for a great deal on the vostro 1400s (they had them for 599 a few days ago with the 8400gs).

Thanks guys, you've been a big help. I'm 99% sure I'm going to end up going with a 1520 configured like the Asus but with an extra gig of memory thrown in. It comes out to be about the same price and then I can grab a student discount from dell too. :D

Back