• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Latest automatic Vista update enables driver signing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vixro

The latest automatic Vista x64 update not only rebooted my computer when it felt like after the update, but it also re-enabled driver signing. I also found out that I can no longer DISABLE driver signing anymore. I can't use core temp so far, but I can imagine how many other programs got terminated by this automatic update.

I'm not sure if it was the performance and reliability patch that was finished or not, but either way I'm not that happy.

As far as I can tell it was included with a bulk of "security updates" on 8-15-07.

----

The update is: KB932596

Just go to programs and features -> Installed updates and nuke it to be able to disable driver signing again. The pack was released on 8-14-07

Last edited:
Yikes. I've never had vista reboot itself. That's quite disturbing. Anyone else had this problem?

Yea, it downloaded the updates and rebooted itself WHILE I was in full screen 3dgame.

No, that method no longer works torin.

XP and vista and server 2003 have updates that do reboot, in vista after these updates are installed you often get prompted if you would like to reboot now, or 10 mins or postpone for 4 hours, dont like autoupdate, dont use it.

If you turn off automatic updates on Vista, and refuse to update it, will it eventually force you to or go into reduced usability mode?

I don't know Audio I wouldn't think so. It did not give me the option to reboot now or later, it just started to shut down and rebooted.

Audioaficionado said:
If you turn off automatic updates on Vista, and refuse to update it, will it eventually force you to or go into reduced usability mode?

I haven't heard of anything like that.

I think it was this updates that's causing problems KB938979 Try uninstalling it and see if can load unsigned drivers again.

I think the best way to handle updates is to let Windows notify me of updates, but not do anything else. That way I can pick which ones I want to install, and when I want to do it. That way I don't get any surprise restarts or things like that.

Well this is the first rule of pc computing:

Never... Ever...

EVVVVVVVVVER

...let Microsoft Automatically update anything for you.

Turn automatic updates OFF and use Windows Update to check for patches about once a week. (Or when you hear news of an important update.)

Otherwise you'll eventually wind up with a mandatory "Pay for all your MP3s and videos" update...

You can turn off the feature by rebooting and hitting f8 before the loading screen pops up.... you'll get the usual menu and down at the bottom is "disable forced driver signing" or something like that...

After I did this, coretemp started working properly again.

TheCheat said:
You can turn off the feature by rebooting and hitting f8 before the loading screen pops up.... you'll get the usual menu and down at the bottom is "disable forced driver signing" or something like that...

After I did this, coretemp started working properly again.

Yeah you can do it that way but the idea is not actually doing that to have the same fuctionality.

Yeah I installed it today but definatly going to uninstall that one update. Something I do not need installed.

Looks like I was able to F8 boot with driver signing disabled, but is it permanent or just temporary?

if I have to do it every boot, then I'm still ****ed. Coretemp works now for this bootup.

johnz said:
I haven't heard of anything like that.

I think it was this updates that's causing problems KB938979 Try uninstalling it and see if can load unsigned drivers again.

I think the best way to handle updates is to let Windows notify me of updates, but not do anything else. That way I can pick which ones I want to install, and when I want to do it. That way I don't get any surprise restarts or things like that.

Alright now is that in the 32-bit version or 64-bit version? I know I have to uninstall mine since it definatly is interfering with a few programs.

deathman20 said:
Alright now is that in the 32-bit version or 64-bit version? I know I have to uninstall mine since it definatly is interfering with a few programs.

I have Vista32 installed, so I got that information from other people on the web. I've had my own issues with that patch though. With it installed, about 20 minutes after booting up it sounded like my drives would be put to sleep, then spin up every 30-60 seconds. It was very regular, and highly annoying. Also, I wouldn't think that would be good for the drives, starting from a dead stop so frequently. I uninstalled the update and the problem went away. Just to check I reinstalled the patch, and the issue returned. I don't know what's causing it, but that patch seems very problematic for many people. I sent notice to MS, I'm hoping they do something to fix it.

I'm assuming you're all talking about one of the 8-14 patches. Well I just did a fresh install of Vista 32 Home Premium. Ran Nik's fix first, then I ran Windows update and deselected anything from 8-14.

Here's the result:

Attachments

• coretemp in vista.jpg
    coretemp in vista.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 895
Back