• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, so my case airflow sucks.... Could I get some help? :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Diddy

Long story short, my TT Tsunami Dream's airflow really sucks. I knew my Q6600 G0 cooled by a TR-U 120X loading at 65C with only 1.35 Vcore was bad. Took the side panel off the case and let it run. Temps dropped to 58-59C in about a minute. This is after an hour of Quad Prime and also with an ambient of 24C. So, obviously, I've taken the window out and am running it that way for now.

The way I look at it, I have two options. First, I go out and buy some mesh and replace the window of the panel completely with the mesh and let it go like that. Problem is I don't know where I can get a sheet of mesh big enough to do this.

Second option is to mod the clear panel with my Dremmel and mount a 25cm fan on the side instead of the 9cm fan (which I tried in both configs, push and pull, and even removed). Thing is, I'm only assuming this will work to either drop or maintain the lower temps, but I can't be sure.

Any recommendations anyone? Don't feel completly safe running windows-less right now as the dog or tons of dirt can get in the case. Would appriciate any help from some of you pros! :D

Last edited:
Mesh screening, just select the size you want. Some go to 8 feet wide. There is a nice selection of metals also.
http://www.mcmaster.com/
Search | mesh screening | Wire Mesh screens
:thup: A modders best site!

I would try and make mounting holes in the side panel first. Bieng careful not to melt any of the plastic. Even looking for spots to make an existing hole larger. So it will hold a larger fan.

You would suprised how many places you can install a fan. I have squeezed a 120MM into a 80MM spot many times in a few cases. One case I settled for 92MM since the actual size of the box was limiting. The real limit is the holes for mounting. General rule for 120MM fan: If a CD(jewel case) will fit longways. A 120MM fan will too.

Scott9027 said:
How big are your intake and exhaust fans? Do you have room for a blowhole mod?

Both 120mm Panaflo M1A's.... As far as the blowhole, I don't, unless I remove the USB Ports at the top of the case. Even the, most of the PSU wires are placed up towards the top of the case. The one's I'm not using I mean.

Section8 said:
Also how is the cable management? That can make a big difference..

Cable management is fine. I have the cables that I am using nicely tucked away and the ones that I don't are as well. Only thing I'd like to change is the IDE cable I have run for my Pioneer 111A. Thinking about upgrading to a Sata DVD drive to eliminate that.

Enablingwolf said:
Mesh screening, just select the size you want. Some go to 8 feet wide. There is a nice selection of metals also.
http://www.mcmaster.com/
Search | mesh screening | Wire Mesh screens
:thup: A modders best site!

I would try and make mounting holes in the side panel first. Bieng careful not to melt any of the plastic. Even looking for spots to make an existing hole larger. So it will hold a larger fan.

Well as it sits, the side panel right now has a 90mm fan. As previously stated, I've tried it in both push and pull orientations and even removed it completly, but no dice. As soon as I put the side on, the temp goes up. Do you think upgrading it to a 120 would be worth it? Or is it more worth my while to simply screen the side.... Some of the Hex screen painted black would look pretty good IMO!

I would do the 120MM first. All it would do for you, is good. If the level of cooling is still not good enough. Then go for the setup you are thinking about.

If your really good with tools. Why not inset a smaller piece of that black mesh. Maybe even get creative on how it is shaped.

Sometimes cutting out grills will give a boost in cooling too. Changing fans to higher CFM or higher quality works in some cases.

What model fans are you currently using?

To see if a 120MM fits. Just insert it into your target area. Using it on the x and y axis. The width of the sideways is a shade over the fan body of a 120MM fan. The disc insdie is the width of 120MM fan blades. it makes a great template actually for cutting.

Well I decided to go with the mesh idea, as I wanted to keep my PC as quiet as possible. Thanks Wolf for the tip on MCMaster... 40.00 bucks for the huge sheet! Was gonna paint it flat black but like the contrast of the metallic look. have a look-see and tell me what you think! :D

pc1.JPG

pc.jpg

I like the look of it. :thup:
I have cede thanks to Capt. Slug for the mcmasters linkage. I read it from some of his posts. Still an easy pick to pass the link around for modding. Great store, why we all mention it here.

Couple things about using mesh (or windows).

It is going to draw a lot of dust. It will add one more step to keeping your machine clean. Not to much of a hassle though. It is there.

Now for the second concern. Why I suggested looking at 120MM fans(92MM?) and cutting out any grills.. Being picky on your fans too. This can be expensive getting good solidly quiet fans though. Also the grills making that "whooshing sound".

Fan noise levels. Even with a windows you are fighting sound in some ways. If you open the side up even more. It is going to be even louder. Just like if you have the side panel off. So your going to need even lower dB fans.

I am not saying you can't make a silent quiet setup with the mesh. My meaning is. It is going to be tough. Now you have to be very selective of the parts you use. Otherwise you will easily hear the parts. I also made my machine as quiet as I could. This machine is nicely over clocked on air. I can still hear a gnat farting. Until I crank up the fan controller anyways.

I am not trying to curtail you using the mesh. I would like to express that it might not suite your requirements in some aspsects. You might have to adjust the plan a bit.

Back