• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Differences between WD 1600JS and 1600AAJS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guy_with_beard

Hi.

I'm unsure about the differences between these two drives. The Western Digital WD1600JS Caviar SE 160GB 7200RPM SATAII/300 8MB Cache and the Western Digital WD1600AAJS 160GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 8MB Cache.

Someone recommended me the AAJS and stupidly bought the JS by accident. I was told the AAJS is a single platter design and is quite a bit faster. I read on another forum that 'As far as I can tell JS is manufactured before December 2005, AAJS is manufactured in December 2005 and after', but my drive was manufacted june 2007 and its called the WD1600JS. Would it still be a 2 platter design even now?

I've seen the AAJS on the site I bought the harddrive on and I'm thinking of sending the JS back and getting the AAJS.

What do you think?

They might have a warranty difference so check into that before deciding to return it. I just noticed that on the Seagate drives I was about to order. One had a 5 year the other was showing different.

Back