• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP - URGENT, made mistake in buying RAM too fast...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iPostNaked

Registered
i am truly sorry... i have made the biggest mistake in my life, i bought some ram without doing some research in terms of over clocking. by the way, i am new here, this is my first post and i am an intermediate computer user.

i am hoping to ask you all a question about the RAM i just purchased before it is too late and i can't replace the order...

i got these PQI rams,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141198 and i think i regret getting them... because i don't really see a lot of info about this brand and over clocking.it seems that OCZ, mushkin, crucial, patriot, g-skill and corsair are considered to be the top ones in terms of over clocking memory.

should i have purchased one of these ones instead?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231036

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220030

i know my cpu is a bit old... but i was hoping to add 2 x 1gb sticks of ram for right now that are cheap (under 105 dollars hopefully) and are good for over clocking. can you give me some advise here so i can replace the ones right away?

thank you again for your time and i am really sorry for this short notice problem/post. have a good day/night.

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with the pqi module. I had a 512 pqi POWER stick on a Sempron machine and it served me very well. I could not test its maximum OC capabilities because of my motherboard but I think I had it at around 230mhz with stock settings.

I think you will see very similar results with all three choices you posted. I've had PQI before and it clocked very well, granted it wasn't the cheap stuff but PQI is definitely a good name brand as far as i'm concearned. Whats the rest of your setup look like, what speed do you plan on running the ram at?

so... just double checking here with you all... i guess you guys are saying that the PQI memory i got above (see 1st post for link) is not that bad compared to the other ones i was looking at (see 1st post for links)?

i apologize i had forgotten to add my system info, it is an old system... i just placed the into in my SIG.

i am not sure on how to overclock RAM so i am not quite sure how to answer you dylskee. i know i have to do a few readings before getting into all this... i was just concerned if the PQI memory i got would be ok for over clocking. i did not see a lot of info about this brand and over clocking as i mentioned on my first post. seems that these are not very popular as the other ones...

any suggestions to what i should look for or do when over clocking? by the way... is there a program that i can use without going into the BIOS? and in case the CPU crashes, can i still get back into the BIOS to UNDO the stuff i did?

thank you all again for your info and time. have a nice day/night.

PQI isn't that bad, its not the greatest memory out there, but it will do the job. Overclocking them, im not sure, never had pqi memory sticks.

If your system doesn't boot because of too high of an overclock there is a jumper you can set to clear your BIOS. This will set all settings to default and allow you to boot up. It's in a different place on all motherboards so just check out the Asus site or your manual for a picture of the board.

ANYONE ELSE wants to give me more suggestions in regards of my 1ST POST?

I would appreciate MORE INPUT! Thank you :)

ANYONE ELSE wants to give me more suggestions in regards of my 1ST POST?

I would appreciate MORE INPUT! Thank you :)
All three of your choices have the same cas3 latency, and I've read positive
reviews of PQI. The 2.5vdimm is the lowest of the three and could very well
give you a little more headroom to O.C. You more than likely will not notice
any difference in a real world app. no matter which of the three you choose.
I had some cheap Transcend ram that OC'd great and took the volts no
problem. It's up to you on how high you intend to O.C. but I feel that these
sticks might surprise you, my cheap DDR2 667 ram clocked over 900Mhz
easily. You could of course search a little for higher performance ram, and
you'll probably find it with a little luck. If you do go with the PQI throw a
little voltage into them and let us know how they perform, data on all brands
is worth noting. Good Luck!!:)
Edit; You will have much better control on your OC'ing if you learn to
use your BIOS rather than a third party program!!!

Last edited:
Last edited:
The Mushkin at 3-3-3-8 is faster than the G.Skill at 3-4-4-8 but I honestly could not tell you which would be better for OC'ing. Perhaps checking old reviews of
value DDR ram would help. Mushkin and G.Skill are definitely good quality imho:)
edit: Value ram will hold back your OC, go for the best ram you can afford.
Here's a review:http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2392&p=2

Last edited:
i have made the biggest mistake in my life, i bought some ram without doing some research in terms of over clocking.

You are either very young or very lucky, or both, if that is the biggest mistake in your life. I hope your luck holds.

You are either very young or very lucky, or both, if that is the biggest mistake in your life. I hope your luck holds.

Yeah, I feel the same way

Bonjour,
Je suis interessé par votre système, pouvez-vous me contacter ? I'm interested by your system, could you contact me ?
Best regards
Merci
Arnaud
[email protected]

huh? well that was unexpected

i am truly sorry... i have made the biggest mistake in my life.

Hahahahaha! This is the biggest mistake of your life? Well then you really haven't LIVED! You should get Henry David Thoreau's (or was it Ralph Waldo Emmerson's?) "Walden" if you want to read about a guy who never did anything interesting in his entire life and then went out and... did.

...barring that... Just go find some trouble. ;)

(Oh... and :welcome:)

If memory serves me correctly. PQI is one of OCZ's alt manufacturers. Or it used to be.

Walden was probably the most boring thing I had to read in Highschool. Not a bad book... but God.. soooooo boring :D.

Right now I wouldn't be too concerned with buying overclocking DDR1. You're on a S754 board which is relatively out of date. It's definitely a great platform and I'm not saying you should upgrade, I just don't see the need for high end DDR1 memory for it. If you do want to get some, I'd recommend waiting till you have 100 quality posts and checking out the classifieds here on the forums.

Back