• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Resolution?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmsch

OK My HTPC is almost completed build. I have an MSI RX2600XT-T2D512EZ that will be displaying on an Olevia 237T LCD. The TV spec page lists its resoltuion as 1366x768, which is neither 1080 or 720. I will mostly be using this to watch 720P, 1080i and 1080p .x264 content direct from the HDD, so what res do I want the card to output? There will also be some web surfing on this HTPC, but no gaming at all. P.S. I will be using a DVI to HDMI cable..not the DVI to HDMI adapter that came with the card.

You want to put out the native resolution of the TV. Most cards can't do the 1366x768, but will come close (1360x768). I've found nVidia cards can come the closest using the overscan options in the control panel (in XP anyway...Vista didn't quite get it right for me). ATi autodetected my display at 1360x768 and left 3 lines blank on each side of the screen. I adjusted my overscan control slightly to take this up as I have a plasma and can't have that burning into my screen.

You won't be watching any 1080p content at that resolution...it will be scaled down to 1080i or 720p.

For a fixed pixel display, like an LCD, you always want to go with the native resolution. If the native resolution is 1366x768, set the card to output 1366x768, or as close to it as you can find. The 1366x768 resolution is fairly common for TVs, so the software should list that res, or maybe 1360x768 or something.

OK thanks guys. I have my card set to 1360x768, the TV native is 1366x768. With the TV in 1:1 mode the desktop is a few pixels larger than the screen. Shouldn't it be smaller?
If I can do overscan or underscan to get it JUST right I would, but I don't know how to enable it. I have CCC 7.8 but the slider bar for over/under scan is always greyed out. Any ideas?

Anyway movies look GREAT!! I bought a DVI to HDMI cable for video to the TV because the DVI to HDMI adapter, that was included with the card, plus a cable, just stuck out from the back of the machine too far. I don't use the HDMI for audio, I use SPDIF out of my sound card to my decoder.

Back