• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Throttling program like crystalcpuid (intel:speedstep or AMD:CAQ) for Graphics Cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

Throttling program like crystalcpuid (intel:speedstep or AMD:CAQ) for Graphics Cards?

I recently found the awesomeness of crystalcpuid that allows me to set specific voltages and multipliers to throttle my cpu when its not being used much...

I have my laptop running at 5x multiplier instead of the 10x default when under 10% cpu usage...

I'm looking for a similar program for graphics cards.... I have two of them in my brothers rig 8800 ultras.. I don't want them sucking up power and dumping heat when they are not running games....

G80's already use split clocks for 2D/3D, same with ATI R520 & R600. The only thing you could really do is modify the card BIOS to use lower clocks & voltages when 2D but I'm sure Nvidia has already optimized their settings for desktop use.

Well I found something and I thought i'd share my findings to those looking for the answer to the same question...

Apparently ATItool has a setting that will load presaved profiles when a 3d game is launched and load another profile when you close said 3d game.... It can also load a profile on windows startup....

I found the lowest stable core clock was 26 for me... I set that as my "low" profile.... my stock clock is 300 and thats my default profile, now when I run games I'm at stock but when I'm just browsing the internet I'm running at 26...

I stuck my hand in the exhaust air port and with the cpu running at half capacity and gfx chip at 26 I cant feal ANY heat coming out of there.... and my batterly life has nearly doubled...

Back