• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost Windows Disk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wathnix

Hi,

I bought a 3rd or 4th hand computer recently, it's got a Windows XP Home OEM sticker on the back with the Key and all, but of course it didn't come with the original disk, I searched on the microsoft web site to see if I could order a new one but couldn't see anything. Any ideas?

Sounds like a good opportunity to go linux...Ubuntu is fairly easy to setup. There are many other distros of linux. I wouldn't even bother spending money on a download from Microsoft. But that's me....take the opportunity to load up a linux distro and see how that suits your needs.

If you have the key you can use any Windows XP CD. Remember that it's the key thats important and not the disc. That means that you can get the software through means I'm not allowed to mention, and Microsoft and it's Activation scheme would be none the wiser so long as the key is legit ;).

Not just any key. You need a windows Oem key. hey can't use a corporate key =P

What brand is it? Im sure the company will send a cd for no charge.

What brand is it? Im sure the company will send a cd for no charge.
If the computer is a "3rd or 4th hand computer" it is going to be pretty old. I doubt that the manufacturer will have them in stock.

You will be surprised Thideras. If its Gateway, Dell, compaq, Or Hp. You can get a cd that requires no key.
:eek:

Wait, no, I'm not surprised. And again, I say they probably won't have it since Vista is the norm now ;)

I know dell will have it. for sure. but i dunno about the others you might need to pay for it. None theless we got copies of all those cds at work. We have gotten so many machines over the years that we have a few boxes of winxp cds from companies.

Dell has it. If it has a service tag you can call them up and order one for it. If you want, you can use someone else's disc, howeveri t HAS to be an OEM home disc. If not, the key will not work.

Back