• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista, Pros and Cons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jheshka

Registered
I'm getting a new computer soon, and I'm trying to decide on the operating system. I'm not sure if I want to go Windows XP Media, or Windows Vista (No idea which version of it, yet either!)

This is just the way I see it, it may be completely inaccurate. If it is, please correct me. I don't intend on turning this into a debate, so you can all relax, if you favor XP over Vista, or vice versa.

Pros
  • DirectX 10 Support
  • More graphical GUI (It's pretty....)
  • DireectX 10 Games

Cons
  • Requires more ram
  • Resource hogging (This one, at least on my current rig, is a big problem--especially gaming)

If anyone has any additional points to add to that, it'd be appreciated.

cons:

- won't run some older and XP programs; requires $ to upgrade those 2
- won't run DOS programs and scripts at all
- requires new drives for old devices so your scanner etc will not work
- doesn't allow multiple reinstalls
- hardware incompatibilities on older machines
- some games won't run
- constant security popups, the UAC is simply annoying!
- uses more resources for the same result
- doesn't do anything that XP can't already do
- if you already have XP, you don't need to spend $ on Vista
- a plethora of version adds to the confusion
- google free search already beat Vista's searching
- 3rd party security programs don't work with Vista
- SpeedFan, CoreTemp etc won't work
- digital rights management (DRM) features block you
- Vista spends lots of CPU time trying to figure out if you're doing something it thinks you shouldn't be doing.

Last edited:
Dunno if you agree with these or not, suggesting to put this into your "pro" section : :D

- Coolness factor
- Braggin tool
- Anything "new" mania

These are from true real life observations ! Don't you agree ? :D

-

I currently have Vista 32-bit on my currently non-OC'd E6420 2gb's ram 7600GT system. My rig I sold a month ago had vista 64-bit, 4gb's ram, 8800 GTS 640MB.

Both run smooth like butta:

32 & 64-bit pros: slick, fast, stable, not a memory hog nor a resource hog, no driver issues

Cons: UAC, 64-bit signed driver thing (but not a big deal only happens for funky 3rd party apps once in awhile)

Vista all the way.

i am running vista WITH NO LAG
e2140 @2.8GHZ
2 gb Ram@900mhz
A 4MB GFX CARD!!!
its pci and it runs with no lag i watch a dvd,media center, anything i want just no games.. no even 1.6 lol
but aero runs

i am tripleual booting vista ult,xp,ubuntu

and i am not goign to lie i really like vista i have no reason to go back to XP and i ever ran across a program that only runs on xp i would use VMWARE or virtual pc

Ermm, can't believe I'm going to even say this here... but meh, ok, yes vista uses a lot of resources, even idel. But shiiit, isn't that why we push our clocks to the max? The OS needs room to breath too. And as far as I can tell, it doesn't hurt when gaming or doing any other cpu/gpu intensive tasks. I remember when I xp came out. I mean comeon, it really wanted 256Mb of ram if not more. And that seemed like a lot back then. Then, we went to 512, then even 1gb, and xp loves it. Vista likes 2gb. Is it really that bad?

Vista has a lot of great things, but also a lot of quirks. But it's still new. Coders haven't yet adjusted to the changes and it shows. Vista is pretty good at dealing with drives, updates, and patches though. DRM sucks, yes, but as far as I can tell, I haven't run into any walls yet.

- doesn't allow multiple reinstalls Incorrect.. you can reinstall many times
- some games won't run Yeah much older games or games running starforce drivers that haven't been upgraded
- constant security popups, the UAC is simply annoying! It can be disabled and should be
- uses more resources for the same result Yes but its alot better at micromanaging memory... So really this case is moot, yes is uses more but hey its also using it smarter. I rather have the OS using alot of memory then accessing the HDD every few seconds and being slower
- doesn't do anything that XP can't already do It can use DX10, Easier to install, more features on the base OS (at least Ultimate edition)
- if you already have XP, you don't need to spend $ on Vista Well eventually you'll need to since programs will be shoved away from XP. Remember supports ending for the OS late this year or early next year
- a plethora of version adds to the confusion Couldn't agree more on that it is confusing unless u get
- SpeedFan, CoreTemp etc won't work Incorrect they do work on 32-bit edition flawlessly and 64-bit if you don't install that security update as well disable signed drivers.
- Vista spends lots of CPU time trying to figure out if you're doing something it thinks you shouldn't be doing. Not always.. I can keep track of what is doing what but finding out what each service does well thats another story, its not doing it all the time but even idling it does use more CPU power

- digital rights management (DRM) features block you Yes its there and its for HD-DVD and Blu-Rays. As well theres some DVD issues as well not sure if its solved though

The newest version 4.32 of SpeedFan works beautifully in x64, since the author added a digitally signed 64-bit driver.

Back