• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

coolant to get...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You dont want 100% coolant. You want a mixture of distilled and coolant.

85% - 90% distilled water and rest an additive.

I use Purple Ice in my systems.

http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/prpice.html

I have also used Hydrx

http://www.crazypc.com/products/9355.html

I prefer the purple ice though as it gives a nice purple color to the liquid and doesnt smell as bad as the Hydrx

I have read too many bad things about FluidXP . I would never use it myself.

well he says it will run fine. I am curious though. Why couldnt it be 100% coolant?

Distilled water has better cooling properties than just that alone.

You should get distilled water + algicide, anti-freeze + UV reactive stuff(if you want it)

well he says it will run fine. I am curious though. Why couldnt it be 100% coolant?

Pure coolant is quite bad at conducting heat. Pure water would be a much better choice than pure coolant. Coolant is there, to stop the water from boiling at 100C. It will raise the boiling point. Same with freezing point, it will make it harder for water to freeze as well.

But need to remember, when coolant is diluted down to like 5-10% and 90 - 95% water, Algae CAN and will grow in it. You need high concentrations of coolant to make sure algae won't grow. But that high of a concentration will kill the ability for your system to cool your CPU/GPU.

so don't forget to get some other additive to stop growth from algae and other bacteria. ( or get silver lined tubes. Silver won't allow anything to grow, thus is quite effective at stopping growth inside your cooling rig ).

I would got for MCT-5 or MCT-40. I have used both. AND also spilled a whole crapload of it on my mobo and worked fine afterwords, so it really is non-conductive. I highly recomend the MCT (from dangerden)

It's just as nonconductive as regular distilled is. There is absolutely nothing in any of those coolants that prevents the liquids from being conductive. Suspended metal ions from your loop itself will cause any aqueous mixture (contains water) to become conductive after being used for a while. Save yourself money and just stick with distilled and some pentosin (or similar concentrate) mixed in a 5% concentration for same metal (copper/brass) loops and 10% for mixed metals.

Back