• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Partitioning after XP installation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sparky2k

Registered
I know this question has been asked ny others but I have recently built the rig below with a 500Gb drive, I forgot to partition the drive but would like to do it now.

I read a similar question in here where the advice was to run diskmgmt.msc and do it from there.

However, when I run that it shows a graphical display of the drive. When I right click on it I am not given any option to create any new partitions.

It shows freespace 0f 465 GB NTFS Healthy (System). The active right click options are: Open, Explore, Change drive properties and paths, Properties, Help.

The greyed out options are: Mark Partition as Active, Format, Delete Partition.

I'm running XP Pro SP2.

Do I have any way of doing this with windows?

Thanks

Last edited:
You're probably going to need GPARTED, Partition Magic or something similar. XP has the DISKPART utility, but I'm fairly certain it does not allow you to resize system volumes...I could be wrong.

Be sure to backup important stuff before trying any of these.

Thanks..I have just used Partition Magic V8.05. I created 2 new partitions within the main 500GB drive of 200 GB each. D and E.

Confusingly in "My Computer" it shows Drive C as having capacity of 465 Gb, and Drives D and E as having 200 Gb Each.

The total there is around 865Gb.

I realize that D and E are part of the main C. But I thought it would have shown Drive C (or Partition C) as having the remaining space...ie around 70 Gb?

Is this OK?

You're probably going to need GPARTED, Partition Magic or something similar. XP has the DISKPART utility, but I'm fairly certain it does not allow you to resize system volumes...I could be wrong.

Be sure to backup important stuff before trying any of these.

Open the Computer Management MMC--> Storage--> Disk Management, take a screenshot of the open window, and post it in this thread as a JPEG.

Back