• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no boot. dead hardware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inkfx

So the computer wont boot. I was thinking it was a dead PSU so my friend and I went ahead and replaced the unit. However, we still didn't get a boot. Pulled all the hardware out of the rig and only installed the bare minimums. I thought maybe something was shorting so we pulled everything out of the case and set it on the table. Still a no go. Everytime we hit the power button we only get a boot for a milisecond before it shuts off. I'm guessing there is some kind of hardware failure but I'm not sure what. He doesn't have any other parts to swap to narrow down the specific piece of hardware. Am I right by assuming perhaps the motherboard is dead?

A64 3000+ Venice s754
DFI Lanparty UT 250gb
2GB G.Skill DDR500
PNY 6800GT
OCZ GameXstream 700w

So the computer wont boot. I was thinking it was a dead PSU so my friend and I went ahead and replaced the unit. However, we still didn't get a boot. Pulled all the hardware out of the rig and only installed the bare minimums. I thought maybe something was shorting so we pulled everything out of the case and set it on the table. Still a no go. Everytime we hit the power button we only get a boot for a milisecond before it shuts off. I'm guessing there is some kind of hardware failure but I'm not sure what. He doesn't have any other parts to swap to narrow down the specific piece of hardware. Am I right by assuming perhaps the motherboard is dead?

A64 3000+ Venice s754
DFI Lanparty UT 250gb
2GB G.Skill DDR500
PNY 6800GT
OCZ GameXstream 700w

I'll ask a dumb question (trust me I'm good at them).:)

Did you try clearing the bios? (When I installed my E6850 it did something similar. It would power on for a second and then power off, then back on then back off....)
Did you take everything out and reinstall a second time? I know it's a long shot but maybe you overlooked something?

Good Luck!

Well he got another computer to try and swap some thing and I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard, unfortunately. He stuck the new PSU, GPU, HDDs and his RAM into the other rig and it works. I wonder if you can still get an RMA going with that board. Although, it's been a while. lol

Back