• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Chances of Catching a Break...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hillsdale

So heres my story please read all of it and help me out once you have (Im located in Canada, keep that in mind):

So in November of last year i got a Xbox360 for my birthday aswell as a 1 year In store (EB Games) warrenty. A few months later it Dies! (3 red lights) so ok, no big problem I return it and everything is good, the person who returned it never told me i had to redeem my 1 year warrenty on this new console, so im thinking that a 1 year warrenty means im convered 1 year for as meny times i need. That isnt so, This month my Xbox360 breaks for a 2nd time, so i take it into EB Games and he tells me that it isnt under the In store warrenty and that i have to send it in to Microsoft. Im now mad because it will take 4+ weeks to get: The coffin sent to me, my Xbox360 sent to them in the coffin, Xbox360 fixxed at MS, then sent back. This cant happen because i need my console for the Halo 3 launch.
So im told to contact my EB Games' district manager though the EB Games canada Help line.. They wont be in until monday but currently i have the EB Games Manager calling me on Monday, aswell as the EB Games Canada Help line guy who will talk to the district manager.
My family has spent THOUSANDS into EB Games, the LEAST they can do to pay me back is to cut me a break and let me buy another 1 year warrenty and use it on this console. :beer:

What do you guys think of this? Do you think that i should get some slack and have them allow me to buy another warrenty? No one is loosing in this situation! They get my money (more of it :mad:) and i get a new (working) Xbox360 that i probably wont play until Halo3 launch because i will be scared of breaking it.
Let me know what you think!

- Hillsdale

Do you have the exact wording of the original contract? IMO the same warranty should have covered the second console as well, as it broke too before the original 1 year warranty was up. Did they tell you when you picked up the second console that the 1 year warranty that you had already bought would not cover the second console? Oh, and BTW, this should go in the console sub-forum :)

Unless you have receipts to prove the have spent thousands then I don think the will do much about it, you can always put pressure on them, that helps

yeah im going to say "Listen ive spent thousands of dollars there and i buy all my gaming stuff here, cant you just cut me a break this once and let me purchase a new warranty?"

If you read the contract for the warrenty is does say that it can only be used for one replacement. You can buy a new PRP for the new console but you have to buy it before you leave the store that day. I am sorry if they did not explain that correctly to you.

As for saying you spend thousand at the store wont do to much to help your cause. Unless you have gone their often and got to know staff there is not much they can do or will do for you.

Nobody in retail cares how much you spend or spent over X amount of time or in one day. Seriously nobody at all, but I was the same way ****ed about sending it to Microsoft I figured it would take forever....I actually got it back pretty fast and the replacement has worked great. Good luck with whatever you choose

No but it is a huge annoyance. If I buy a console, I expect to be able to play the games.

Its just a shame that these consoles pretty much have expiry dates built in. :bang head

I called MS and said "Listen you KNOW you made a faulty product and now because of your lack of knowledge into building a console, im going to miss the Halo3 launch, and i want something free from this"

long story short i got a month of free XBL, not to bad. But i was expecting more along the lines of a game.

yeah im going to say "Listen ive spent thousands of dollars there and i buy all my gaming stuff here, cant you just cut me a break this once and let me purchase a new warranty?"

Anyone who works retail will hear that exact phrase nearly every time a customer has a problem. It doesn't carry much weight.

I think you should have called MS to begin with. Even now you will still have your 360 back by Sept 25. I have to agree with _slh_ though, I don't believe playing Halo 3 on it's release date qualifies as one of a human's basic needs.

I called MS and said "Listen you KNOW you made a faulty product and now because of your lack of knowledge into building a console, im going to miss the Halo3 launch, and i want something free from this"

long story short i got a month of free XBL, not to bad. But i was expecting more along the lines of a game.

Everyone gets a free month of XBL, it comes on a card. That was apart of the replacement deal through MS. I got one sitting right here lol

Anyone who works retail will hear that exact phrase nearly every time a customer has a problem. It doesn't carry much weight.

My point exactly

I'll bet if you took your parents with you and asked the manager in a nice way, if you could purchase another warranty, return your 360 and then purchase a more expensive Elite unit and pre-order Halo3, then he will agree to that.

My family has spent THOUSANDS into EB Games, the LEAST they can do to pay me back is to cut me a break and let me buy another 1 year warrenty and use it on this console. :beer:

Sorry, I work retail and my response: lol

Ever think there is any other family who's spent maybe TENS of thousands there? Nothing is worse than having to tell a customer that they are not the center of the universe and that you can't break the rules for them, especially if it will get you no more than a possible write-up from your supervisor for being such a nice guy...

If this makes you mad, ask yourself this: at your job do you break rules for every customer who didn't read the fine-print? Do you consistently go the extra mile, and then an additional 5 more, when you already have a butt-load of work to do? If not, why ask someone else to? I draw the line at giving the customer everything (maybe a bit more) they should get from a $10/hour employee. Anyways, hopefully you get this resolved. I safe-guarded myself against xbox 360 problems a different way - I didn't buy one.

Last edited:
Sorry, I work retail and my response: lol

Ever think there is any other family who's spent maybe TENS of thousands there? Nothing is worse than having to tell a customer that they are not the center of the universe and that you can't break the rules for them, especially if it will get you no more than a possible write-up from your supervisor for being such a nice guy...

If this makes you mad, ask yourself this: at your job do you break rules for every customer who didn't read the fine-print? Do you consistently go the extra mile, and then an additional 5 more, when you already have a butt-load of work to do? If not, why ask someone else to? I draw the line at giving the customer everything (maybe a bit more) they should get from a $10/hour employee. Anyways, hopefully you get this resolved. I safe-guarded myself against xbox 360 problems a different way - I didn't buy one.

1) Yeah i would help them out if the sales rep. didnt offer their services.
2) they work at EB Games, suck it up and do some work

Back