• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running CentOS 4.4 headless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantasm

Trying to install webmin on my headless CentOS install and it keeps failing. Says no such package? Any ideas?

I'm trying to use yum to retrieve it (yum install webmin).

The package may not exist wherever yum looks (presumably some repository of some kind). You may need to download the program and build it, or if you can get rpm's, install those with rpm.

Finally got it installed, however i'm contemplating switching Distro's now. Whe nCentOS loads it complains that sda and sdb cant write tot he drive cache. Furthmore, once loaded my RAID 5 array, FD, CD-ROm and tape drive do not appear on the system. As for distro's i already have:

• CentOS 4.4 Server
  • CentOS 5
  • Ubuntu Server
  • Debian

Any one better than the other? I haven't run headless in years so it will be a learning curve anyway. I like GUI's (always have) but it would need to be a minimal footprint because i only have 512MB of RAM at the moment. I'm looking for 4x 512MB PC100 ECC right now but it's rare and i don't want to spend $150 for RAM for an 8 year old system.

Do you have a separate RAID controller? If so, it would handle the cache. How are you trying to use the cd-rom? It should be /dev/cdrom, I'm imagining you have to mount it manually...

I don't use GUI's, and don't exactly understand what the exact problem is though :)

The problem is that the /dev directory shows nothing. No FD, CD-ROM nor tape drive. My RAID controller is a PERC 3 DC which handles the array. According to Linux there is no array. lol.

Sounds like lack of support for it in the kernel, either because support doesn't exist, or because you didn't build it in when you configured the kernel.

Back