• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't sign in to hotmail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

I have a wierd problem with my mother's computer. She can open the main hotmail page but she cant sign in, it just gives the page not found error after trying to load it. All other sites work fine, and all the other computers on the LAN work fine. I tried clearing the cookies and temp internet files but that did nothing. Also I tried a reconnect and using firefox instead of IE same results, nothing. Anyone seen this before or know what to do to sort it out?

Thanks, George.

EDIT: Meant to say she's running XP Home SP1 with IE6, on an athlon XP 2000+ 512mb RAM and some Asus Nforce1 based mobo.

Thanks for the reply Imposter, I just tried all those things and its not fixed it unfortunatley. I did find out its not just hotmail though, it seems to be the same with her internet banking. I think it may be a problem with pages where she needs to send info rather than just recieve it. Like when she sends the password in both cases thats where the page won't load.

Download Knoppix (livecd with linux... you just put it in the cd drive and boot it/run it, it doesn't install or alter your hard drive in any way), open a browser, and try to log on. If that works, then it's something to do with your windows configuration. If that doesn't then it's some kind of connectivity issue between you and hotmail somewhere along the line.

Good idea MRD, I have some old knoppix disks around somewhere as well, Ill give that a shot and report back.

Well, after wasting half a day on it I worked it out, and my word do i feel stupid. Ages ago when we had a lodger staying and she started to take the mick with how much bandwidth she used, I blocked all outgoing traffic from her local IP in the router firewall. Since she left, the router has handed that IP to my Mum's comp, so she was able to open web pages, but when she tried to send info such as her hotmail username and pass, it was being blocked.

Back