• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PLEASE be so careful - warning and a rant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aja

Short story:

A friend gave me a virus that stuffed everything up and now I want to kill him but apparently that would make some people upset :mad: :temper: :cry: :argue: :bang head

Long story:

A friend came over to my house to print something because I have a nice shiny colour laser printer(HP CLJ 3600). At the moment, the printer is connected to a laptop. This laptop has norton antivirus, but what I didn't realize (we dont really use it often) is that the license expired and the autoprotect feature is disabled because of this. He plugged in his flash drive. Later that day I needed to print something. Up come messages saying that autoprotect is disabled and the firewall is also disabled. Anyhow, I plug in my Iomega 60 gig 1.8" drive and print my stuff, thinking that I should buy another license sometime soon. Then the horror starts. There are these "runtime something or other" error messages that keep popping up, one after the other, at a rate of one every second. So you do the math, thats 60 popups every minute, for as long as the laptop is on. This has also screwed up my external HDD. I keep my entire life on this thing, personal and work. I have all my utilities on here, stuff that I have been collecting since windows 95 days, things that are irreplaceable. Now when I plug in the drive in my sig PC and doubleclick the icon in My Computer, it asks me "what program do you want to use to open this file..." WTH???:confused: I am guessing I will have to reformat. The PC in my sig has NOD32 antivirus - I swear by it, it picked the virus up as soon as I plugged it in, I love this antivirus. It is scanning the disk as I type this - there is a list in the log of practically every file on the drive saying that it is damaged or corrupt and that a few different worms have been found. Now before you shout at me, I keep regular backups(a similar thing happened a few years ago at a LAN), on two different machines as well as on two sets of DVD's, with the most sensitive data on another separate DVD. The problem is that some things are lost since the last backup, obviously. The laptop is a mess and needs to be reinstalled because of multiple corrupt system files, and I cant find the cd's...

What a mess...

Well, the FIRST thing you need to do right now is take that computer off of the network. It may be one that can re-install itself if it is connected to the internet!!

You can also check in my sig for virus/spyware removal ;)

Well, the FIRST thing you need to do right now is take that computer off of the network. It may be one that can re-install itself if it is connected to the internet!!

You can also check in my sig for virus/spyware removal ;)

Thank you! Reading your thread now...

The Laptop isn't connected to any network luckily, completely stand-alone...

thats messed up :(

btw, i wouldn't use Norton next time :p a virus in a virus itself, however, i'm assured you know this lol

I hate norton so much. I LOVE NOD32!

But the laptop is my dad's and he doesn't trust anything other than norton/microsoft. Interestingly he is a programmer(coldfusion/SQL), he should know better...We have loving father/son windows/linux debates at least once a week...

avg and spybot s&d ftw!

that sucks what happened to your stuff and you should give you friend a piece of your mind

you may also want to take the hdd into a data recovery place and see what they can do

thats messed up :(

btw, i wouldn't use Norton next time :p a virus in a virus itself, however, i'm assured you know this lol

Yup, Norton and McAfee are crap. I only use Nod32 or Avast. I always remove the standard crap they sell with systems (when i buy pre-made). Good luck with your virus... they can be nasty little ********. lol.

avg and spybot s&d ftw!

that sucks what happened to your stuff and you should give you friend a piece of your mind

you may also want to take the hdd into a data recovery place and see what they can do

I do have backups, so its not too much of an issue. I formatted the drive and now it is working perfectly. I guess the master boot records got messed up. I managed to access the drive through a command prompt (woot fat32!) and copy all my files.

Then I replaced the broken files, so all is well in cyberspace once again, thanks to the lone ranger. Strength of a bear...of a bear...of a bear...of a bear...WTH am I saying...

Yup, Norton and McAfee are crap. I only use Nod32 or Avast. I always remove the standard crap they sell with systems (when i buy pre-made). Good luck with your virus... they can be nasty little ********. lol.

actually "some" versions of macafee are ok, the client we use at work is amazingly good :) (i dont know what ver off the top of my hand, however, its bundled with our Sonicwall pro 3060 as a service)

I have the Corporate Version of Norton on my home PC. Just enable real time file protection and you're set. It only uses like 4Mb of system resources as well! if you navigate to a webpage that has a potential security threat (virus, trojan, etc) it'll pop-up and let you know. I find that Avast uses too much resources for my tastes, but it is good I must say. I'm a very cautious browser and computer user though, so the Norton Corporate version works well for me. You don't need a subscription either!! And its not bogged down by all the stupid GUI of the home version...

Fortunately, I came across this thread yesterday and un-installed the crap Norton security suite from my friend's Dell Laptop, before it expired. Norton Home is the worst piece of bloat-ware garbage masquerading as an AV. :rolleyes:

I hooked her up with NAV Corporate (free if you are at my Uni). She had no clue that this was free (she is an Instructor at my Uni) and far far better than the rubbish home edition.

I have the Corporate Version of Norton on my home PC. Just enable real time file protection and you're set. It only uses like 4Mb of system resources as well! if you navigate to a webpage that has a potential security threat (virus, trojan, etc) it'll pop-up and let you know. I find that Avast uses too much resources for my tastes, but it is good I must say. I'm a very cautious browser and computer user though, so the Norton Corporate version works well for me. You don't need a subscription either!! And its not bogged down by all the stupid GUI of the home version...

Every single PC at work now runs faster and more responsive since I removed Norton's pathetic excuse for an AV. I had the corporate multi-license version too, Norton Internet Security, and it sucked. I've been running Kaspersky for about two months now and I love it!

Back