• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1950 cross fire card.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minhtin

Registered
Anyone know where i can get these cards at now? I can't seem to find them anywhere, i tried newegg and zipzoomfly. Are these cards already absolete? Because about 8 months ago they were the top dog. Thanks for any input. :beer:

Anyone know where i can get these cards at now? I can't seem to find them anywhere, i tried newegg and zipzoomfly. Are these cards already absolete? Because about 8 months ago they were the top dog. Thanks for any input. :beer:

:welcome:

You ain't kiddin'! Your best bet is ebay, or the classifieds once you've accumulated 100 posts. I had to buy mine on ebay.

NOW, that being said, you don't need a master card to crossfire the PRO versions of the X1950, and they are readily available. The only problem with them, is the 512meg version is in short supply, and the memory is gddr 3, not gddr 4 like the non pro versions. (If you didn't know, gddr 4 is faster, more efficient.) Also the pro's are louder. But they have an internal cable rather than the enormous external dongle I have on my computer. :eek:

Not many folks here like them, because they are only DirectX9. But other than that, they are very decent performers. The X1950XTX is a great overclocker.

My crossfire system performs roughly as well a single 8800 (No, not the Ultras!) And at this point, Dx10 is still a newcomer on the stage.

If you post your specs, dozens of people who know nothing about you will tell you exactly what you should buy, and where! :beer:

Dang, I have a 1900xt crossfire ready right now, can i hook it up to pro?

My system right now is form memory anyway hehe

dfi 3200crfx cross fire
165 opteron
1900xt video card
2 gig corsair xms

Err that's pretty much it, oh and it's water cooled.

This should help: Check out the compatibility chart, which is linked under one of the questions.

http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/faq.html

Short answer, yes. (WAIT! No, you can't hook a pro to a non pro, different chipset, but you can hook a 1900 with a 1950 of the same kind.) But it will only perform as well as the slowest card. Two different brands of cards are supposedly OK, but I have a sneaking suspicion that's asking for trouble. If you're going to use the the 1900, (which I don't recommend) get another 1900 of the same brand. I recommend you get the credit from ATI for the old card. (see the site for details) and buy a better one. The 1900's are antiques. ;)

Last edited:
Antique? Holy cow..... I take it the 2k series is the latest and greatest now? If i was oging to get a 2900xt, how much speed improvement am i getting? Oy i just built this thing less than a year ago too.

Antique? Holy cow..... I take it the 2k series is the latest and greatest now? If i was oging to get a 2900xt, how much speed improvement am i getting? Oy i just built this thing less than a year ago too.

I just built my rig 6 months ago, and it's already out of date!!! I was razzin ya a bit.

For a budget upgrade, get a 1950 or two. You can get a $50 credit from ATI. If you are looking at the 2900, you have to start wondering if you are going to bottleneck that Opteron. There's other's here who can sound off about that. Anyone? It would take two 1950's in crossfire to even approach a 2900.

It all depends on how you measure "speed improvement". Frames per sec I assume? Try benching your system on 3dmark06. Post your scores here. Check what others are getting. I'm guessing your system will do 5000 or so max. A single X1950XTX can do 7000 with my system, overclocked. With crossfire, and overclocked processor at 3.38Ghz, I have pulled 11047. If I had a 2900, I might get 12000 or 13000. Two 2900's in crossfire, maybe 24000. Look, I pulled all the #'s out my rear, so take with grain of salt. But they are in the ball park. Bench your system, It's fun!

If I were you, I'd either get another 1900 for dirt cheap somewhere, and crossfire the system, then start savin for a new rig in a year or two. Just a suggestion. But a lot of people here are going to tell you that's a waste of money, and go for a newer video card.

Back