• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Don't want to bottleneck P4, 3.2. Which GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninjacore

I'm building a cheap rig with a P4 @3.2ghz and 2gigs of ram.
I'm looking at low-mid range graphics cards and was wondering which would I want to get to prevent the CPU from bottlenecking it? 7300gs maybe? 6600gt? I have absolutely no experience with the ATI series, but I'm not a fanboy either, so whatever. As long as it's not getting bottlenecked by the CPU.

thanks

Last edited:
Your title is a bit misleading, it sounds as if you're trying not to bottleneck the CPU.

I suggest a 7600gs, it is in the same league of the 6800's, but currently available :).

dan

Do you guys think the 128-bit memory architecture is going to matter at all when compared to 256-bit and paired with the p4?

I Got A...

I got a P4 at 3.40GHz, 1G of RAM, and a XFX 7600GT, running Vista and XP MCE and it runs good enough to run BF2, COD2, and BF2142 all on high settings in XP, and in Vista Halo 2 runs decent, I just need more RAM, but to sum it up, GET THAT CARD!!. Best bang for the buck, I have the XFX XXX edition running at 590MHz stock OC.

I wouldnt worry to much about bottlenecking. If you play your games with some decent eye candies turned on and a good resolution you shouldnt even really run into a bottlenecking problem, as the GPU will be loaded down enough not to.

hey

im planning on getting a 7600GS, I've got a P4 2,8 prescot

will I get any bottleneck?

im gonna play at 1024x768 and AF8x, I guess it will be ok for games like TDU, Fear, rfactor...

thanks in advance

Back