• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista OEM question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JackNSally

Does the OEM disc come with all the different versions (Home Basic/Premium, Business, Ultimate, etc.)? I know that you either get 32-bit or 64-bit, just need to know if all the versions come on the disc or not.

No, it's like getting the retail - you have to pick OEM Home Premium or OEM Ultimate, etc.

But the retail has the different versions on it, just the product key works with the particular version the key is for.

I'm asking because I do computer repair and probably going to start getting computers with bad hard drives and just wondering whether I need to get each individual disc or if one disc will work.

Didn't know that about retail.

Probably doesn't matter anyway what versions come with the OEM because it can only get installed once. And you have 4 days to activate. And it will know what MB it was installed on.

I'm talking about like a customer comes in with say a Dell with Vista Home Premium and their hard drive failed. Would I have to have a Vista Home Premium OEM disc or could I say get a Vista Home Basic OEM disc? (Their product key would be on the sticker on the machine)

Basically, would I have to get an OEM disc of each version or do all the versions come on the disc like the retail?

I'm talking about like a customer comes in with say a Dell with Vista Home Premium and their hard drive failed. Would I have to have a Vista Home Premium OEM disc or could I say get a Vista Home Basic OEM disc? (Their product key would be on the sticker on the machine)

if a customer brings in a dell with vista home premium, then why would they need another key? they already have home premium. just give them a new HDD and they should still have their dell disc, and if they don't tell em to contact dell.

:confused:

if a customer brings in a dell with vista home premium, then why would they need another key? they already have home premium. just give them a new HDD and they should still have their dell disc, and if they don't tell em to contact dell.

:confused:

IIRC dell does not ship CDs with the operating system on them anymore unless you pay extra.

to the OP

I would assume NOT, that you would need a specific Dell CD as with XP, the product key is tied to the PC, however you do not actually need to enter it when installing hte OS. One dell CD installs on another Dell machine with no problems. It may be the same way with that.

contact dell and for 10 or 15 bucks they will send you the OS cds.

My OEM disc has all versions of the 64 bit os on it.

Thank you, that's what I was looking for! I know, people *should* keep there original OS disc but... some people lose them 20 mins after taking the comp out of the box. Since time is money it'd be faster to have an OEM disc on hand rather than contacting Dell/HP/Compaq/Acer/Etc. etc.

P.S. With XP, I just use an OEM disc and when it asks for the cd key I use the one on the sticker for the box.

I'm really anal retentive about that... I keep all the boxes on shelves in my closet with all original accessories and discs. It you're going to spend the money on it, you might as well take the time to hold onto it.

I'm really anal retentive about that... I keep all the boxes on shelves in my closet with all original accessories and discs. It you're going to spend the money on it, you might as well take the time to hold onto it.

I do that! Some customers...well, don't!

Back