• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5K Premium fan question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTengineer

I setup the fan that clicks on top of the heatsink for the PWM's on the left hand side but I have not been able to click in the one that goes on the heatsink on the upper part of the CPU area. It seems like it doesn't fit? has anyone been able to put it on or am I just doing something wrong?

I am also not very impressed with the build quality of the board considering how expensive it was. There was a pin bent on one of the power connectors and the heatsink on the PWMs on the top of the CPU feels loose.....

Yeah i wasn't too crazy about the way the heat sink is fixed on top of the mosfets at the top of the board. I had a hard time getting the fan attached as well, but with a little wiggling it does go on.

I've been having some interesting problems with my board. The optical out on the back of the board does not work, but when i hooked up a spare SPDIF out to the motherboard connect (bottom of PCI slots), the added optical port works but the on board one doesn't.

I'm also experiencing a VGA problem. A graphical testing program that ran full screen at 27 FPS on my last board runs at 2.5 FPS on this board. I think i might have a defective board.....

Yeah i wasn't too crazy about the way the heat sink is fixed on top of the mosfets at the top of the board. I had a hard time getting the fan attached as well, but with a little wiggling it does go on.

I've been having some interesting problems with my board. The optical out on the back of the board does not work, but when i hooked up a spare SPDIF out to the motherboard connect (bottom of PCI slots), the added optical port works but the on board one doesn't.

I'm also experiencing a VGA problem. A graphical testing program that ran full screen at 27 FPS on my last board runs at 2.5 FPS on this board. I think i might have a defective board.....

Im going to try to put it on again but i am afraid since the top heatsink seems to be quite loose as it is.

Unfortunately I cannot test the optical output here.

I just set up my "Premium" and that little fan is a tight fit, but goes on... I took the heatsink off and used AS Ceramic instead of that crappy thermal pad...heck the pad didn't even touch the middle MOSFETs...

Anyone having hard drive compatability issues with there Premium??? None of my WD Sata II drives work...

I just set up my "Premium" and that little fan is a tight fit, but goes on... I took the heatsink off and used AS Ceramic instead of that crappy thermal pad...heck the pad didn't even touch the middle MOSFETs...

Anyone having hard drive compatability issues with there Premium??? None of my WD Sata II drives work...

I ended up putting in the damn thing

no hard drive compatibility here but I Have an IDE but I have heard of RAID problems on the Premium this may be related to that. Maybe the next BIOS will fix your problem.

you need to make a floppy disc with the sata 2 raid drivers,i had the same problem . JS1

Yeah, this isn't my first rodeo, I know how to install RAID drivers when installing Windows XP, the install went fine, but the first reboot is BSOD after that and every boot...

I just got a beta BIOS I'm going to try... there are apparently lots of people having problems with new SATA II drives on this board... I hope they get sorted out, I don't want to run some old *** drives to make the board happy... :bang head

Yeah, this isn't my first rodeo, I know how to install RAID drivers when installing Windows XP, the install went fine, but the first reboot is BSOD after that and every boot...

I just got a beta BIOS I'm going to try... there are apparently lots of people having problems with new SATA II drives on this board... I hope they get sorted out, I don't want to run some old *** drives to make the board happy... :bang head

I haven't been able to RAID 0 either. My future plans are to Matrix RAID 0/5 w/ 4 to 6 HDDs, and I'm worried it won't be possible. I have my 2 WD SataII HDDs working in AHCI mode right now in 3Gb/s mode. RAID 0 was a lot of failed XP installs, very slow boot times, and BSOD.

I haven't tried the new beta BIOS, but I do have it. I also haven't tried the latest F6 and Matrix drivers from Intel's website, but I did download them. It just takes to much time to re-do everything, and I'd like a little more re-assurance it'll work this time. Everything on the Asus forum leads me to believe I'll be wasting my time.

I may RMA this board and look at that DFI offering. I started a thread about it. I'd like to hear from other DFI owners 1st, and know if anyone gets this P5K Premium ICH9R issue worked out. I've got until around 9/23 to RMA this board if I have to.

I couldn't fit the fans due to my U-120-X, but I did notice that the MOSFET HS's were a little loose. Since they have pads it doesn't really matter. It's not like your breaking a good AS5/Ceramic mount when you wiggle them.

This thread has gone way OT but I think I've found something useful regarding the HD issue. I did a quick scan of the Asus forums and it seems like a lot of people are having issues with WD drives more than others. I remember from techreport articles that they kept having issues with WD drives and ICH9R.

Before we dive into our test results, we should also note that we encountered an apparent compatibility conflict between Western Digital Caviar RE2 hard drives and the ICH9R running in AHCI mode. Running the south bridge in AHCI mode is necessary to enable Native Command Queuing, but doing so with Caviar RE2 hard drives gave us all sorts of blue screen errors in Windows XP and even during the XP installation process. We've notified Intel of the issue, but haven't yet received a fix. Western Digital's Raptor X and WD1500ADFD hard drives had no problem with AHCI mode on the ICH9R.

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/12507/3

Obviously there is some kind of issue with WDs general AHCI implementation or specifically NCQ (which is part of AHCI) for non-Raptor drives. I see jason has WD drives. I have a set of Seagates and will have to see how setting up RAID goes. I have had 0 issues wiith a single drive but did not install it as AHCI, just normal IDE. *edit Well there is one bit of wierdness. HDTune gets slow sequential transfer rates and spikes (dropouts to almost 0 MB/s) that do not match other benchmarks (HDTach) One or two other people in the Asus forums said thas as well. Will try Atto in a few minutes. *Atto looks normal as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Back