• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which OS For My Media Center Build??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[Mudd]

Im waiting on the parts for my media center build for my plasma in my living room which os should i use?? 2005 xp mce? or x64 vista? heres the specs

Asus A8N-E 939 PCI-E
AMD 4000+ San Deigo @ 2.5g
OCZ 2g DDR 400
Asus nV 8400gs 256meg HDCP Ready
EagleTech ION HTCP Case

well i dont know jack about linux the last time i was in linux it was not user friendly you had to type all paths taken.. I think xp MCE might be the best case the remote that comes with the case works on MCE not sure if it would work in linux or even vista?

I'd avoid vista on a media center computer. The DRM is way too restrictive and likely to prevent you from doing much of what you want to do, even if it is legal.

I use Linux for my media center PC (mythtv). Nothing is as powerful and full featured as mythtv, but it was a challenge to get working.

I'd avoid vista on a media center computer. The DRM is way too restrictive and likely to prevent you from doing much of what you want to do, even if it is legal.

I use Linux for my media center PC (mythtv). Nothing is as powerful and full featured as mythtv, but it was a challenge to get working.

what version of linux would be ideal? and do you have a link?

I use gentoo, but that would scare off anyone new to linux. For me though, it's very easy.

www.mythtv.org is the software homepage.

I ended up using Ubuntu on my HTPC rig and there are tons of walkthroughs out there to get Myth up and going in ubuntu.

Back