• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to consider for a quad-core machine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

So what do I need to consider when potentially going quad core? Will XP utilize all the cores or do I need Vista? Does the build work the same as single core machines or are special layouts or cooling options needed? Anything else to consider?

Thanks,

--Illah

XP and Vista will both make use of all cores if needed.

It works the same as dual core but be aware that if you plan to overclock you may need a better cooling solution.

Another thing to consider if you want more extreme OCing is a board with very little vdroop. For this I highly recommend the Asus P5K Deluxe or Premium which have BIOS options to eliminate vdroop. If you need SLI the EVGA 680i A1 but you will need to do a vdroop pencil mod to eliminate vdroop with that one.

So what do I need to consider when potentially going quad core? Will XP utilize all the cores or do I need Vista? Does the build work the same as single core machines or are special layouts or cooling options needed? Anything else to consider?

Thanks,

--Illah

Xp will utilize the cores, but it's really up to the apps on how specifically within each. Quads generally output twice the heat as their dual core bretheren at the same model level.

I've had a e6700 and a q6600. I don't think the q6600 outputs twice the heat, probably about a quarter more heat is all. Or maybe it's just the g0 stepping improving over the B2 E6700 I had.

TDP of an e6700 is 65w, TDP of a QX6700 is 130. Same with e6800 and qx6800, e6850 and qx6850. The new quad 6600 and 6700 go's are an exception as pointed out, but the q6700 is brand new, and the q6600 had a 68% higher tdp than the e6600. The x6800 and qx6800= 75% difference.

Back