• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox 360 Cooling help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Urrr... you're not going to get much help without telling us the problems.

What most people do is, replace the TIM with Artic Silver 5, put a divider in the white shroud so one fan is dedicated to GPU, and run the fans at 12v - although they are loud at full speed.

I have a small house fan aimed at the side of my 360, stopped the random crashes I got in long gaming sessions.

Problem is the GPU is what over heats, and it only has 15mm of height clearence for a heatsink, the current one is a basic Aluminium piece of crap.

You'd need to use heatpipes to get any decent surface area, something MS have started doing on newer revision 360s.

Why are you guys even RESPONDING to this thread? New user... hasn't even stated what the problem is... HASN'T POSTED AGAIN.

I'm going out on a limb and assuming it's a soon-to-be-banned bot.

Last edited:
No im not a bot, im trying to find out good ways of cooling 360's for a A Level project.

Which A-Level is it? what are the aims of the project?

Is the cooling solution meant to be an external add on or an internal modification?

The A level is Design tech, i have to design, make and market a inter cooler or cooling device to reduce the temp of the xbox 360, for long term use.

chuck it in the bin.... problem solved :p

EDIT: ok more seriously, if its a design class thing, your almost certainly going to need heat pipes. If it was just a home job, i would just cut a hole in the top (yes a hole in the top of a $600 piece of hardware) and fit a high flow loud as a mofo delta in the top. But thats just me. Better a noisy hole filled 360 that a melted dead one

Yes i have a metal shop at school and i dont really know what needs cooling, all i know is that its hot lol

well you need to find out what is hot first before you can cool it :D

my guess is that its may be the processor or something. since your going to take it apart anyway, whip the lid off and play some.
have you got an infrared thermometer? since its for A-level it will be good using somethinging like that to pinpoint exactly what is hot and document it with the lid on, and then with it off.
then what you will need to do is assess how you are going to make something to keep that area cool.
if it is just the processor that is hot, then a good idea may be is to take off the stock heat sink, and make something similar but improved.
what would be good is to research heatsinks for processors and document your findings. make sure you find out the mechanics of why they are made that way, and with what materials.
if it is the processor (it might not be) then an idea might be to have heat pipes coming through the case at the back, with some big fins like what a thermalright looks like, with an ultra quiet fan sucking air from it and blowing upwards (cos heat rises)
god i must have took the wrong subjects at A-level.. i completely flunked it!

why have you picked an xbox anyway. why not a pc - so much easier to do this. but good luck :)

I used a xbox 360 because theres not alot of cooling devices that work, i have got pics of the inside of the xbox and with a infrared thermometer.

Attachments

• overheating xbox 360.doc
    76.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
ok so whats the part that needs cooling? or do you no longer need our help :D keep us updated anyhow

the cpu and gpu needs cooling, what is the best way of cooling it, it would be a bouns if i didnt have to void the 360, is water better than fans.

have a look over at Xbox Scene, their forums have a ton of posts of cooling mods on the 360.

Water is better than air, but you can still improve without using water. Quality copper heatsinks, and better case ventilation will solve the 360 overheating issues.

Also, remove those extremely restrictive fan grills at the back.

take it apart :D do some schematics ;) job done
if i wanted to cool my console, i wouldnt use water, although it is a better cooler, ive read that once its fitted there is always that possibility of a leak and the maintenance of it too

Back