• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6850 vs Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

numzie

Registered
What would i be better off getting? I'm getting the P5K3 deluxe and DDR3 1333 RAM so would i be better off getting the E6850 since it has a 1333 FSB or would I still get better performance from a Q6600 even tho its FSB is only 1066?

it all depends on weather 2 more cores will make a differance to what you do. If your gaming, then it probably won't. I got the Q6600 myself, even though i game, simply because the Q6600 is cheaper than th extreme dual cores. Mine is running at a 1333 buss speed right now at 3ghz on stock voltge. G0 stepping.

it all depends on weather 2 more cores will make a differance to what you do. If your gaming, then it probably won't. I got the Q6600 myself, even though i game, simply because the Q6600 is cheaper than th extreme dual cores. Mine is running at a 1333 buss speed right now at 3ghz on stock voltge. G0 stepping.

so prob better for me to just grab the Q6600 and OC it to a 1333 FSB and sit?
I don't plan on OC'ing it to the max anyways.

DD3 is a waste of cash currently...Spend the extra cash on an GTX Ultra SLI setup,or a Phase kit.

You'll have to run that RAM w/ a RAM multiplier to use it at those speeds. When your FSB is set to 333 (1333 effective) your RAM will be running at 667 if you run it 1:1. You'll have to run your RAM 1:2 to get it up to 1333, and doing this has been shown to have negligible effects on performance. I would be curious as to how tight you can get the timings if you underclock that DDR3 1333 to 667 speeds, though. It looks like you have the impression that the rated FSB of a chip is supposed to match the rated speed of the RAM. This is incorrect. To actually run 1:1 the rated FSB should be twice that of the rated speed of the RAM. You only need DDR2-533 RAM to run a 1066FSB, and DDR2-667 RAM to run a 1333FSB at 1:1. DDR3-1333 requires a rated FSB speed of 2666 to run 1:1!

*note: Rated FSB is the quad-pumped (4x) actual FSB. Rated RAM speed is the dual-channel (2x) of the actual FSB.

If you could get your actual FSB up to 667, then you could run your RAM 1:1 at its rated speed. That is easier said than done, though. You're going to need an exceptional chip, LN2, and a lot of luck to get to 667, and I don't think you can stay there very long.

DDR3 just hasn't shown that it's any better than DDR2 yet. I know the speeds look impressive, but the latencies negate the speed benefit.

IMHO if you're looking to spend uber cash then I think you could spend it elsewhere and get better performance. Wait a couple weeks, and get the X38 (DDR2 version). As for CPU...x3230, or QX6850 maybe? Don't forget a top-of-the-line GPU either.

Last edited:
Back